Random Acts of Kindness: Feeding

ron0822

Last month, I volunteered to go to St. Vincent de Paul to help out. I went there with some of my fellow classmates. I didn’t even know that St. Vincent was a homeless shelter until I got there and saw the people living there. I also saw people lined up outside waiting for something to eat, they start serving lunch at noon and dinner later in the day. The people that live in St. Vincent people get to eat first because they live there and pay for the place. The people outside that don’t live there have to wait, they are there for free meals as long as they have their pass.
When we showed at St. Vincent de Paul, all of us were assigned different jobs to do in the kitchen. My classmate Josh and I were assigned to help with the drinks to pour it for them. We would pour there choice of orange juice, unsweetened tea, or fruit juice. When any of the pitchers would run out, we would refill them. Some of the other people were assigned to be in the cafeteria to serve food. From the kitchen, the homeless would get rice, beans, and fajitas and go to us for drinks and we would give them their choice of drink.
I felt that our job was going to be easy pouring juice in a glass or cup in the beginning because it didn’t seemed like anyone can do it. My job became more complicated when a lot of people wanted to get drinks because I had to pour their choice of drink into their cup per person. If I was slow, pouring the drinks, they would got to Josh’s line ask for a drinks. If both of us are busy, someone would go in front of the line and cut off the rest and serve them a drink that was not right. I don’t know why they we had us do this job pouring drinks because I feel like these people can pour their drinks, but when I saw someone pouring their own drink and trying to get more then what they should be getting then I understood why they didn’t let them serve themselves.
After Josh and I finished our jobs pouring juice, I felt good day because I helped someone that day. I was able to give drinks to those people that wanted it when they were thirsty. The thing that made my day is everyone saying thank you to me and Josh. People were thankful for the service and kindness we did for them. I felt great that this experience will be a hard one to forget because I did something to make a difference in the world. (464)