Food For Thought: Holiday Memories

jenn.lynn
When most people think of the holidays such as Christmas and Thanksgiving, about being able to spend time with family and enjoying the company of others. When I think about Thanksgivings and Christmas, I think of the surplus of delicious foods.

My Grandmother prepares all of the food on thanksgiving at her house. On thanksgiving day my mom, my brother, and I go to her house for the meal. My top favorite dish my Grandmother makes is chess pie. My grandmother only bakes chess pie on Thanksgiving. When she brings it out after we have all "Finished" eating, everyone fights over who gets the first piece; every year my uncle wins and gets the first slice. My grandmothers chess pie is like a sweet reward for making it through the rest of the year. Even though a pie is supposed to be for a dessert, I think about it a week before Thanksgiving day.

After eating Thanksgiving dinner at my grandmothers house, my family and I go to a community center where my step-dad's family has a small gathering. Everyone brings one food item. When everyone arrive, we can finally eat. There is usually so many different food choices to select from. My favorite is my step-sisters turkey. Her turkey taste unlike any other I have tasted. I usually go back multiple times. At this years gathering, I enjoyed being able to experience the other different foods that several members of the family have taken time to prepare.

Another holiday that ,in my mind, makes me think of food is Christmas. On Christmas day, we go to my grandmothers house, again. The one food that is mainly only for Christmas is bananas pudding. My grandmother prepares two large bowls for Christmas. Every year my step dad gets one whole large bowl to himself. Nobody else eats out of his bowl because it is a tradition that we have had for years.

Christmas and Thanksgiving are wonderful times of the year to be able to spend time with family, but the part enjoy most is the food. My family has traditions that we follow every year. My greatest memory of food would have to be the memories I spend with my family during the holidays.