STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Food For Thought: Holiday Memories

jenn.lynn
When most people think of the holidays such as Christmas and Thanksgiving, about being able to spend time with family and enjoying the company of others. When I think about Thanksgivings and Christmas, I think of the surplus of delicious foods.

My Grandmother prepares all of the food on thanksgiving at her house. On thanksgiving day my mom, my brother, and I go to her house for the meal. My top favorite dish my Grandmother makes is chess pie. My grandmother only bakes chess pie on Thanksgiving. When she brings it out after we have all "Finished" eating, everyone fights over who gets the first piece; every year my uncle wins and gets the first slice. My grandmothers chess pie is like a sweet reward for making it through the rest of the year. Even though a pie is supposed to be for a dessert, I think about it a week before Thanksgiving day.

After eating Thanksgiving dinner at my grandmothers house, my family and I go to a community center where my step-dad's family has a small gathering. Everyone brings one food item. When everyone arrive, we can finally eat. There is usually so many different food choices to select from. My favorite is my step-sisters turkey. Her turkey taste unlike any other I have tasted. I usually go back multiple times. At this years gathering, I enjoyed being able to experience the other different foods that several members of the family have taken time to prepare.

Another holiday that ,in my mind, makes me think of food is Christmas. On Christmas day, we go to my grandmothers house, again. The one food that is mainly only for Christmas is bananas pudding. My grandmother prepares two large bowls for Christmas. Every year my step dad gets one whole large bowl to himself. Nobody else eats out of his bowl because it is a tradition that we have had for years.

Christmas and Thanksgiving are wonderful times of the year to be able to spend time with family, but the part enjoy most is the food. My family has traditions that we follow every year. My greatest memory of food would have to be the memories I spend with my family during the holidays.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy