Food for Thought: Society and Ice Cream Sundaes

hockey24
Food stretches across my memories in various ways. In history, food is associated with a myriad of ideas and practices ranging from prehistoric hunting and gathering to the royal feasts of medieval times, and has remained an essential part of all human culture. As time has progressed, we have continued to integrate food into our culture, and society has determined the way we think, talk about, and enjoy food today.
I will be the first to admit that I think about food a lot. I think about food when I’m eating, when i’m not eating, at night, in the morning; heck I even think about food in the shower. If food and I were in a relationship, on Facebook our status would definitely be “It’s Complicated.” You see, food and I have a love hate relationship that stems from a diverse collection of thoughts, notions, and ideas that I have gathered about food from various sources. My mom tells me to number my calories and “don’t eat too much crap,” my doctor tells me to “eat more fruits and vegetables!”, my dad tells me to “just eat healthy,” and society tells me that if I eat too much (or anything at all) I’ll get fat, and if I’m fat I am somehow less of a person. The question then arises of who I should believe. What do you do when you’re body is telling you one thing and everyone else is telling you something different? Do I really know what’s best for me in regards to food?
One of my greatest memories involving food is when my mom, my little brother, and I had just suffered through an unbearable dinner with my grandparents, and we were desperate for any source of relief. Once we left the restaurant, my mom spotted the beaming sun setting in the distance, and she quickly pulled into a random lakefront parking lot. Soon enough, my brother and I found ourselves sitting on the nearby dock, taking in the spectacular view while almost pushing each other into the surrounding water. Suddenly, my 11 year old brother ran back into the car, grabbed my mom’s credit card, and sprinted into the crowded restaurant next door. My mom and I were a bit stunned when a few minutes later my little brother showed up with a cunning grin and three ice cream sundaes in his hands. We all exchanged equally pleased looks as we devoured our desserts in a chorus of satisfied noises and agreements.
Looking back on that memory now, I realize that night had been great because of what happened, rather than the food we consumed. Though the food may have added on to the excitement of the night, it was not what made the night special. Food has its purpose to refuel the body and increase the happiness of those who are lucky enough to afford it, but it’s sole purpose is not to make us happy; only we can do that.