Food For Thought: My Grandmother's Cake

Brinette
I still remembered the time when my mother force me to spend my summer in my grandparent’s house back in the countryside. To welcome my arrival, my grandmother had made some Vietnamese cake that seemed very drab and ugly, probably composed of tofu and vegetable, which I don’t feel like eating. When my mom saw me leaving them aside and continued to watch TV, she chided, “How ungrateful! You know how much time your grandma had spent on…”
“They look yucky!” I argued back. When I looked up, I realized my grandmother had been standing at the door. She looked hurt, but her voice came out naturally, “It’s alright. I can leave them to Uncle Bay next door. Don’t need to make a fuss out of it.” Then she quickly gathered the dishes and withdraw.

That night, my mother forced me to go down to the kitchen to apologize. My grandmother was humming happily, as if she had forget about the incident in the morning, and invited me to sit down.
“You know what’s these cakes call?” she pointed at the dull cakes I had discard this morning. “They’re banh chung, banh day, and they actually had their own history: “There was once a king, who had eighteen sons. One day, he gathered all of them together, and said they had to find the most delicious food in the world to win the throne. Immediately, all the princes seek out the most talented cook and look for the most precious spices to please their father. On the judging day, the king walked around and were quite please because all the dishes were exquisite, except for the last salver - It consisted of two lackluster, dull, grey cakes. Shocked, he asked the eighteenth prince, who was the owner of this salver, to explain. “I’ve made these cakes myself, father” the prince said, “because I don’t have money for a talented cook or a palatable dish. To me, the square-shaped bread represented Earth, our land, while the circle one represented Sky, our air. The glutinous rice resembled the humble paddle fields that had nourished us everyday. The green leaves wrapping around represented the arms of our parents, which had buffered us from suffering. Touched, the king tasted it, and he was delighted, so the eighteenth prince won the throne.”

She turned to me and added, “These Vietnamese cakes were all I had, and I understand if you prefer American food to…”
I immediately hug her and cry, “No, I actually came here to apologize. I was rude to you this morning and....” My grandmother didn’t wait for me to finish my sentence. She only laughed benignly. With her wrinkled hand, she gave the cakes to me, and I can’t believe my life had missed out such a wonderful taste. My grandmother had long gone now. Yet everytime I opened up a banh chung, banh day, her warm voice transcended through my memory, her story forever enclosed in my heart.