Food for Thought: The Birthday Cake

sassypo
The Birthday Cake
By
Jayde T. Boles

When I was around 5 I was always in the kitchen with my mom. Mother is a great cook. She’s turn leftovers into a feast. Her homemade macaroni cheese is the one thing she makes that I don’t eat. It’s not that it’s bad; I just don’t like macaroni cheese no matter who makes it. But all of her friends and all of our family swear it’s the best. I thought I had seen her cook everything until the Christmas of 2003.
As usual on Christmas eve we were making cakes, pies, and the Christmas dinner preparations. I was in charge of putting cookie dough on the cookie sheet before it went into the oven. I noticed we had another box of cake mix and frosting left on the counter. There were two chocolate cakes. There was one for the family and one for my aunt to take to church. There was an ambrosia cake that was made with pineapple, nuts, and coconut with a cream cheese frosting. For the life of me couldn’t figure out what the cake mix was for.
“Mommy, what’s the other box of cake mix for?” I asked her as she washed the remaining dishes in the sink. She turned around and said “What do you think it’s for?” I really didn’t know but then my older sister started smiling and said “That’s right you have never done this before.” I didn’t understand and I was starting to get a little angry. I couldn’t take not knowing and so I yelled, “What is the cake for?” Both of them started laughing and both said, “What is tomorrow silly?” I replied “Christmas”. I was still confused. While my sister started emptying the box of white cake mix into a bowel and cracked three eggs into the mix my mother started telling the story of the night Christ was born. I listened and then while my sister mixed the cake batter she asked me “do you know what the cake is for now?” I really didn’t and I guess my mother realized that I was still confused. So she turned to me and put me on her lap and said, “When you have a birthday don’t you get a cake?” I shook my head yes. “Who birthday is it?” I knew there was a correct answer and I was not sure what it was so I just said “Baby Jesus?” my sister threw her hands up and said “finally”.
She started to tell me the story of how this became a tradition in our family. She said each year we make a white cake and put one candle on it and tell each other what we were thankful for the past year and what we want to do in the next year. We sing happy birthday to Jesus and the youngest in the house had to blow out the candle and place the start on the tree, all by midnight.