STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Food for Thought: The Birthday Cake

sassypo
The Birthday Cake
By
Jayde T. Boles

When I was around 5 I was always in the kitchen with my mom. Mother is a great cook. She’s turn leftovers into a feast. Her homemade macaroni cheese is the one thing she makes that I don’t eat. It’s not that it’s bad; I just don’t like macaroni cheese no matter who makes it. But all of her friends and all of our family swear it’s the best. I thought I had seen her cook everything until the Christmas of 2003.
As usual on Christmas eve we were making cakes, pies, and the Christmas dinner preparations. I was in charge of putting cookie dough on the cookie sheet before it went into the oven. I noticed we had another box of cake mix and frosting left on the counter. There were two chocolate cakes. There was one for the family and one for my aunt to take to church. There was an ambrosia cake that was made with pineapple, nuts, and coconut with a cream cheese frosting. For the life of me couldn’t figure out what the cake mix was for.
“Mommy, what’s the other box of cake mix for?” I asked her as she washed the remaining dishes in the sink. She turned around and said “What do you think it’s for?” I really didn’t know but then my older sister started smiling and said “That’s right you have never done this before.” I didn’t understand and I was starting to get a little angry. I couldn’t take not knowing and so I yelled, “What is the cake for?” Both of them started laughing and both said, “What is tomorrow silly?” I replied “Christmas”. I was still confused. While my sister started emptying the box of white cake mix into a bowel and cracked three eggs into the mix my mother started telling the story of the night Christ was born. I listened and then while my sister mixed the cake batter she asked me “do you know what the cake is for now?” I really didn’t and I guess my mother realized that I was still confused. So she turned to me and put me on her lap and said, “When you have a birthday don’t you get a cake?” I shook my head yes. “Who birthday is it?” I knew there was a correct answer and I was not sure what it was so I just said “Baby Jesus?” my sister threw her hands up and said “finally”.
She started to tell me the story of how this became a tradition in our family. She said each year we make a white cake and put one candle on it and tell each other what we were thankful for the past year and what we want to do in the next year. We sing happy birthday to Jesus and the youngest in the house had to blow out the candle and place the start on the tree, all by midnight.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy