Food for Thought: Thanksgiving on Pause

AbigailGR
Anticipation built as the first pangs of hunger came. Sweet smells brushed our faces as we inhaled, trying to anticipate a small taste of the long-awaited food. Mouths began watering as we waited and waited. Our thoughts could not be taken off the question haunting everyone’s minds, “When will the turkey be ready?”

Last year my family traveled to my uncle’s home for Thanksgiving. Nearly twenty people gathered into the small kitchen. Everyone got right to work, finalizing side-dishes and laying out the desserts. Smiles lit everyone’s face until dreaded words erupted out of my uncle’s mouth, “I’ll go start the turkey.” Depending on their size, turkeys could consume over three hours to cook. However, brave faces were put on. The family mustered up all of their courage and agreed to wait for the turkey to finish cooking before devouring the divinely smelling sides.

The first hour was bearable. Smiles, though not as bright as before, still lit everyone’s faces. Discussions about the past year floated around the room, distracting everyone from the small, yet growing hunger in their bellies.

Anticipation grew in the room as the second hour approached. The hunger felt could no longer be ignored. The only conversations heard were complaints from the children. Our minds could so clearly see the image of the warm and juicy turkey meat we had been anticipating for so long. However, we pressed on.

Silence filled the room. Every once in a while a moan would escape. Solemn faces surrounded the table. The only optimistic movement consisted of hopeful souls going to check the turkey, yet coming back disappointed. The once beautiful faces were now stained by the tears that fell on their cheeks. The low rumble of grumbling bellies began, as if mourning for a turkey that perhaps would never arrive. The sound of a door slamming shut filled the room as my uncle went to check the turkey, although none of us dared to hope that the turkey was finished cooking.

Suddenly, a wonderful aroma filled the room, awakening us from our downtrodden trance. A fully cooked turkey made its grand appearance. Smiles going from ear to ear filled everyone’s faces as the most beautiful turkey was brought into the room. Hands were grasped in prayer, then the long awaited time came. Plates were filled to the brim and people dove for seats, ready to start eating. Taste buds nearly exploded and sighs echoed around the room as faces were stuffed. Once again, the hum of laughter and the sharing of memories filled the room as the family enjoyed their Thanksgiving, vowing to never let my uncle cook the turkey again.