Food for thought: Of Apples and Autumn

kaavya1997
The sweet, spicy, fragrance of baking apples wafts through the house slowly. If you’ve ever dipped a covered paintbrush in water, you’ll understand. The aroma swirls slowly through the air, at first barely to be seen, but growing, penetrating every corner until the house is bursting with the warm, cinnamon fragrance.

This is the hardest period. The seconds tick by, too slowly for my sister and I to bear. We can’t resist running to the oven to check on the pie every five minutes. Don’t you think this is enough? We say. The apples are bubbling, is that okay? God forbid anything happens that will take our apple pie away from us.

The cacophonous beeping of the oven is music to our ears. As we open the oven, the rich, sweet smell of pie explodes in our nostrils, with the hot oven air. We carry the pie out ourselves, hands covered in fluffy mitts, with as much precision as a surgeon. We can’t have anything going wrong at this stage, can we? But cutting it out is a job for mom. We satisfy ourselves by staring at it, and touching the chaotic lattice of lightly baked, golden crust covering the apples. Finally, mom arrives, our own divine intervention.

As she cuts through the hot, dense layers, smoke spirals out, rising high, but our eyes don’t flick away from the pie. Only after we approve that the two pieces she cuts are unequivocally of the same size do we hold out cups out. Mom lifts the slice out on a knife, the apples browned, jelly-like, juicy, the crust wobbling a little. The slices don’t hold and they fall apart a little, but for us, it’s all about the taste. She transfers them into our waiting bowls without dropping even a crumb. Some skills seem to be acquired only on reaching motherhood.

We each occupy a corner of the house, alone, delicacy in hand at last. As I dig my spoon into the apple pie, it breaks the pie crust, but cuts smoothly into the apples. All at once, I can’t wait any more and put the spoon into my mouth. As I bite, flavours burst out, exploding like fireworks in the night sky.

The crust is crispy and flaky, contrasting wonderfully with the soft, gooey apples. Cinnamon and nutmeg add layers of zest and zing. It is an orchestra with different instruments playing different layers of a lively song, where all the sounds come together to produce a harmonious melody.

Warmth spreads through my body like a wave of comfort washing over me. It transports me into a place of cool breezes that raise goose bumps along my arm, of apples growing plump in the orchard, of orange leaves floating through the air.

I dig my spoon in, impatient for more. Flavours dance in my mouth, mingling with each other, but yet each one distinct. By the time I realize it, my slice is finished, every crumb licked off my cup.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Food for Thought essay being chosen as 1 of the 11 essays in the running for 1st place for our November 2014 teen writing competition. Be proud of your accomplishment. We had almost 200 essays submitted for November’s contest.

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field.

We will post all winning essay results by December 31st. You can check this page for the results after December 31st:

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment.

Posted: Friday, December 5, 2014 1:02:51 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Food for Thought essay being selected as one of our Teen Essay runners up for November 2014.

To view all the results of our November 2014 contest, please check our winners page on or after December 31st:

Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:03:43 PM