STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Food For Thought: Blueberry Muffin Breakfast

kdavisw
I watch the sun creep over the horizon and I dash to my grandmother’s room.
“Can we make them now Bebe?” I plea, so eager I can barely stand still. She gives in and puts on her soft, aged white robe. We quietly walk downstairs, trying not to wake others who are still, rightfully, asleep. We tiptoe into the kitchen and flip on the light. I scurry to the pantry to get the mix, while she collects the eggs and milk from the refrigerator. She gets down the big bowl that will hold the batter. We know this recipe by heart and recreate it quickly. Bebe drains the blueberries, then drops them into the creamy batter forming blue polka dots.
“Remember what I told you…” she begins, as I mix the batter, while standing on a stool.
“Don’t over mix the batter or else it will get tough,” I recite, as I flip the wet content onto the dry to reach a perfect consistency. Together we spoon the batter into the grey tins, with her moving quicker and cleaner than I. When I am sure that she is not looking I lick my spoon, building my anticipation for the final product. Once we have scraped the last bits of batter from the bowl it is time for strudel, which is like icing on the cake. We are very generous with the brown sugary snow that tops our mini mountains of batter. Bebe places them in the oven and then the race is on. I have to wait 12 minutes for them to reemerge, which is forever for a six year old.
I sit on the floor staring at the oven hoping that will make them bake faster. Bebe begins to prepare her legendary scrambled eggs and other family members surface, drawn by the irresistible smell. I decide help set the table to distract myself from the oven.
“Forks on the left,” I remind myself as I circle the table. My younger sister climbs up into her seat, placing her teddy bear on the table. I sit next to her, looking out the window watching the squirrels collect their breakfast, which will be nowhere near as good as mine.
I snap out of my daydream at the sound of the timer calling to let me know that the muffins are ready. I jump and run over to the oven and watch her pull out the most perfect blueberry muffins I have ever seen. Soon they are set on a plate with bright yellow eggs and are carried to the table. The remaining muffins are also taken to the table, so we can quickly get seconds. My sister and I break apart the steaming muffins releasing the trapped heat and consume them with our fluffy yellow eggs, washing down both with chilled grape juice. Before we realize, all the muffins are gone and all we are left with are memories, at least until the next morning.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy