Food For Thought: Blueberry Muffin Breakfast

kdavisw
I watch the sun creep over the horizon and I dash to my grandmother’s room.
“Can we make them now Bebe?” I plea, so eager I can barely stand still. She gives in and puts on her soft, aged white robe. We quietly walk downstairs, trying not to wake others who are still, rightfully, asleep. We tiptoe into the kitchen and flip on the light. I scurry to the pantry to get the mix, while she collects the eggs and milk from the refrigerator. She gets down the big bowl that will hold the batter. We know this recipe by heart and recreate it quickly. Bebe drains the blueberries, then drops them into the creamy batter forming blue polka dots.
“Remember what I told you…” she begins, as I mix the batter, while standing on a stool.
“Don’t over mix the batter or else it will get tough,” I recite, as I flip the wet content onto the dry to reach a perfect consistency. Together we spoon the batter into the grey tins, with her moving quicker and cleaner than I. When I am sure that she is not looking I lick my spoon, building my anticipation for the final product. Once we have scraped the last bits of batter from the bowl it is time for strudel, which is like icing on the cake. We are very generous with the brown sugary snow that tops our mini mountains of batter. Bebe places them in the oven and then the race is on. I have to wait 12 minutes for them to reemerge, which is forever for a six year old.
I sit on the floor staring at the oven hoping that will make them bake faster. Bebe begins to prepare her legendary scrambled eggs and other family members surface, drawn by the irresistible smell. I decide help set the table to distract myself from the oven.
“Forks on the left,” I remind myself as I circle the table. My younger sister climbs up into her seat, placing her teddy bear on the table. I sit next to her, looking out the window watching the squirrels collect their breakfast, which will be nowhere near as good as mine.
I snap out of my daydream at the sound of the timer calling to let me know that the muffins are ready. I jump and run over to the oven and watch her pull out the most perfect blueberry muffins I have ever seen. Soon they are set on a plate with bright yellow eggs and are carried to the table. The remaining muffins are also taken to the table, so we can quickly get seconds. My sister and I break apart the steaming muffins releasing the trapped heat and consume them with our fluffy yellow eggs, washing down both with chilled grape juice. Before we realize, all the muffins are gone and all we are left with are memories, at least until the next morning.