STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Food for Thought: Thanksgiving Memories

Faith Barge
Food is the glue in family holidays, bringing close friends closer in fellowship while filling our bellies with Dad’s famous turkey, Mom’s creamy potatoes, and Auntie’s classic apple pie. Words of thankfulness flow from every mouth at the table, while eyes delight in the steamy piles of mouth-watering deliciousness, ready to dive in. Food is what brings people together. What would Thanksgiving fellowship be with no food to savor? Food gives us the chance to come together and experience new things. It helps people remember the past through what they are tasting at the moment. Certain meals or traditions can bring back wonderful memories of family and friends, love and laughter. Food is a big deal in our lives, as we eat it multiple times a day, but when it comes relationships, food knits us together in a special way.
With the thought of this upcoming Thanksgiving, joyous memories of years past spring forth in my mind. Each Thanksgiving for five years during my childhood, my family had a tradition of spending the day celebrating with three beloved families to which we were closest. Military families with no relatives within thousands of miles, the four households would come together under one roof with great love, all sharing what we were most thankful for. Each family contributed our signature dishes that everybody else relished. I remember my friends and I bubbling over with laughter over silly jokes as we sorted through our favorite savory meats, breads, and side dishes crowding the tables. After long and sincere prayers we would stuff ourselves with plate after heaping plate of delightfully aromatic food, unsuccessfully saving room for dessert.
Afterward the dads would lounge on the couch, and no one would be surprised to find them in the middle of a food-induced coma. Moms chattered in a tight circle around the table while kids retreated in huddles over games with raucous laughter. Dessert time brought enthusiasm, but also skepticism about being able to handle copious amounts of even more food. Ignoring the groaning pleas of our over-stuffed bellies, we would charge in, hoping to get a slice of homemade berry pie or the latest cookie invention.
Late in the night we would say our goodbyes, no one really ready to leave each other’s company. Piling in to cars, each family would drive home loaded with leftovers, myself looking forward to weeks of turkey sandwiches. At home, food-logged drowsiness overtook us as we descended into deep calorie-induced sleep. Yet another wondrous Thanksgiving Day gone by, I thanked God then, even as I thank him now for bringing such beloved families into my life. We have all since moved long distances from each other, but this tradition our family shared with dear friends has given me countless memories which will forever remain, especially while eating Thanksgiving dinner. Food memories are some of the best memories, wrapping up all five senses within the delicious bonds of love, laughter, goodness, and kinship.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy