STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Food for Thought: The Food Cataloger

desertfx
Mona Lisa is similar to a Big Mac; a blank, A4-size paper to an exquisite linguine alle vongole. It seems absurd to equate the products of tremendous effort and skill to those of perfunctoriness. However, this absurdity can only be observed when we see ourselves as skilled producers of art or food. To consumers, even the most consummate work of art or cuisine is rendered to a prototypical image or taste, the icons by which our memory identifies products.

Just as I summon the image of Mona Lisa when hearing the masterpiece’s name, I match various foods with their archetypal tastes: McDonald French fries with saltiness and lemonades with tart sourness. But the foods rarely receive further attention than verifying that the food I eat is satisfactory. I finish my meal, my life moves on to talking with friends, studying, and classes. In truth, food was just the stuff I put into my mouth for energy.

Then I started the Food Cataloging project. My art teacher required students to make a food catalog, including the price, picture, and description of foods we ate. He asked us to be as descriptive as possible, to become connoisseurs and food critics.

I visited familiar restaurants—the school cafeteria and regular venues—and savored the food I ate every day for the past few years with a mission: I wanted to experience the food, appreciate it, and savor each meal. The makguksu I ate from a small street-side stall by my school presented a small bowl of vermicelli-like buckwheat noodles with potent red pepper paste; the dish was rounded out by the subtly fragrant scent of sesame oil. The next day, a bowl of water-makguksu simmered before me; the bracing, crisp radish water kimchi soup and slightly thicker and rougher buckwheat noodles offered a spicy but savory meal for a cool day. My next dinner consisted of roasted pork belly morsels prepared with minced scallions seasoned in chili powder and sesame oil. I slowly chewed the juicy cubes of meat and felt the chili powder flood my senses. For snack during school, I ate stir-fried rice cake. The cylindrical, dense rice cakes swam in red sauce. A particular favorite of me and my friend group, I surrendered to the habit of eating the rice cakes while chatting.

The project ran its course and the teacher asked me what I learned about the foods I sampled and categorized. Mulling over his question, I reflected on the rushed slurping of makguksu, the chatty tittering of a friend group nibbling on rice cakes, but also the thousands of other meals which preceded this project. Family dinners, nights out with friends, home-cooked feasts and celebratory meals—they all were tied together by the food we shared. I learned to take my time and appreciate the meals I have, the foods I enjoy, and the memories I make as I chew.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy