STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Food for Thought: A Lasting Memory

rubyduby
The delicious smell floats in the air, wafting through every room. When my dad makes cookies, you can smell it throughout our home. Our nostrils tantalized, my siblings and I each drop what we are doing and run down the stairs to the kitchen, where Dad is wielding a spatula, carefully placing the cookie dough on the baking sheet. Listening to our dad whistle a little catchy tune, we all sit around the counter waiting for the cookies to come out of the oven, breathing in the pleasant scent.

My brother, sister, and I chatter away as we wait expectantly, my mom laughing at our silly banter. As my dad takes the scrumptious sugar cookies out of the oven, I look wide-eyed over to see the glistening, gold dough. Mouths watering, the three of us, sigh depressingly, realizing we have to wait still longer for the cookies to cool. Our patient waiting will soon give us a reward, though, and so our longing smiles quickly reappear.

We all lean over the cookies to get a closer look. Mouths are watering, our eyes gleaming with joyful anticipation, I start to think about some creative ideas for decorating my Christmas cookie, considering which supplies to use. Mom had set out frosting, food coloring and chocolate sprinkles. Finally the cookies are ready. Glancing at my siblings to see who will reach first, I lung for the best-looking cookie, the one I had my eye on. Quickly following me, my brother grabs one; then my sister. The decorating begins. As we stretch over one another to get a little sprinkle of this and a dot of that, my parents look on with contented satisfaction, waiting to see what we will produce, frosting and sprinkles going everywhere, laughter and smiles all around as well.

While we put our last details on each of our cookies, Mom sprints for the camera to take a quick picture. With frosting covering our faces, we hold up our artwork and all smile big for the camera. Now that history has been recorded, our stomachs start to growl. I open my mouth wide and start to put my delectable in my mouth. I hesitate. My siblings and I look at our cookie creations one last time. In a moment they would be gone. All at once we chomp down on our first bite and our faces light up with joy. Our eyes close as we savor the delicious moment, the cookie slowly melting in our mouths. When I close my eyes, it’s all right here again, with brother and sister, Dad and Mom, smells and smiles. I relive that memory. My siblings and I turned to each other, smiling big, eyes gleaming, knowing that we had made a lasting memory.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Food for Thought essay being chosen as 1 of the 11 essays in the running for 1st place for our November 2014 teen writing competition. Be proud of your accomplishment. We had almost 200 essays submitted for November’s contest.

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field.

We will post all winning essay results by December 31st. You can check this page for the results after December 31st:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Friday, December 5, 2014 12:42:00 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Food for Thought essay being selected as one of our Teen Essay runners up for November 2014.

To view all the results of our November 2014 contest, please check our winners page on or after December 31st:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:02:24 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy