Food for Thought: A Lasting Memory

rubyduby
The delicious smell floats in the air, wafting through every room. When my dad makes cookies, you can smell it throughout our home. Our nostrils tantalized, my siblings and I each drop what we are doing and run down the stairs to the kitchen, where Dad is wielding a spatula, carefully placing the cookie dough on the baking sheet. Listening to our dad whistle a little catchy tune, we all sit around the counter waiting for the cookies to come out of the oven, breathing in the pleasant scent.

My brother, sister, and I chatter away as we wait expectantly, my mom laughing at our silly banter. As my dad takes the scrumptious sugar cookies out of the oven, I look wide-eyed over to see the glistening, gold dough. Mouths watering, the three of us, sigh depressingly, realizing we have to wait still longer for the cookies to cool. Our patient waiting will soon give us a reward, though, and so our longing smiles quickly reappear.

We all lean over the cookies to get a closer look. Mouths are watering, our eyes gleaming with joyful anticipation, I start to think about some creative ideas for decorating my Christmas cookie, considering which supplies to use. Mom had set out frosting, food coloring and chocolate sprinkles. Finally the cookies are ready. Glancing at my siblings to see who will reach first, I lung for the best-looking cookie, the one I had my eye on. Quickly following me, my brother grabs one; then my sister. The decorating begins. As we stretch over one another to get a little sprinkle of this and a dot of that, my parents look on with contented satisfaction, waiting to see what we will produce, frosting and sprinkles going everywhere, laughter and smiles all around as well.

While we put our last details on each of our cookies, Mom sprints for the camera to take a quick picture. With frosting covering our faces, we hold up our artwork and all smile big for the camera. Now that history has been recorded, our stomachs start to growl. I open my mouth wide and start to put my delectable in my mouth. I hesitate. My siblings and I look at our cookie creations one last time. In a moment they would be gone. All at once we chomp down on our first bite and our faces light up with joy. Our eyes close as we savor the delicious moment, the cookie slowly melting in our mouths. When I close my eyes, it’s all right here again, with brother and sister, Dad and Mom, smells and smiles. I relive that memory. My siblings and I turned to each other, smiling big, eyes gleaming, knowing that we had made a lasting memory.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Food for Thought essay being chosen as 1 of the 11 essays in the running for 1st place for our November 2014 teen writing competition. Be proud of your accomplishment. We had almost 200 essays submitted for November’s contest.

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field.

We will post all winning essay results by December 31st. You can check this page for the results after December 31st:

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment.

Posted: Friday, December 5, 2014 12:42:00 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Food for Thought essay being selected as one of our Teen Essay runners up for November 2014.

To view all the results of our November 2014 contest, please check our winners page on or after December 31st:

Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:02:24 PM