Food for Thought: an Overly Conscious Eater

blossom1997
Voracious. That’s the world I’d use to describe myself. Though the quickest eater with the hugest appetite in the family, I always left the table in mess after a meal, with portions of food scattered everywhere. My mother would always squint at me during mealtimes, wondering aloud if I’d ever mature enough to impress guys with my superb table manners. Most of the times I’d never even bother to look up from devouring the dishes and my mom would just sigh.

Of course, at school I was a bit more ladylike in eating, though not much different. At least I didn’t spill food everywhere. I did eat ravenously, astonishing my friends, and sometimes I would make a small mess, but not to the extent that I appalled people. Sure, I was an unconscious eater, but I was quite content with my eating habits.

However, there was one occasion on which I was completely conscious while eating. I somehow ended up having lunch with my crush, just by ourselves, on a weekend. As I walked into the restaurant, I constantly reminded myself that I just couldn’t afford to be my voracious self in front of him. I was certain it would give him a horrible impression. I was overly conscious when the dishes came out. I picked on my food. I pretended I had a small appetite. I covered my mouth when I chewed in fear of letting the contents fall out.

At one point, my crush asked, “Do you always cover your mouth when you eat?”

I blushed. “Um… yeah,” I blurted out unconvincingly.

Though my crush didn’t question me any further, I was left miserable for the rest of the day. I felt as if my crush somehow knew my usual eating habits and thought of me as someone flirtatious who tried to impress him. I began to think of my voracious self as my Achilles’ heel.

Few months later, when I had finally gotten over my crush, I was asked out to a dinner by another guy, a pleasant person who seemed to like me just the way I was. He already knew of my huge appetite, he was always playfully admonishing me for eating too much. However, I had never eaten alone with him, and I was afraid of disappointing him too with my awful table manners.

Contrary to what I expected, I wasn’t as conscious as I had been with my previous crush. I was quite comfortable eating with this new guy. I didn’t have to fake anything. Sure, I didn’t have the most refined table manners, but he didn’t seem to care. Rather, he found this ravenous part of me adorable.

“You seem happiest when you eat,” he noted, smiling.

I laughed. “I am.”

No, I couldn’t change my appetite or my table manners. But it seemed that there was someone in the world ready to love me for who I was, the voracious girl.

Proves it isn’t so wrong to be voracious.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Food for Thought essay being chosen as 1 of the 11 essays in the running for 1st place for our November 2014 teen writing competition. Be proud of your accomplishment. We had almost 200 essays submitted for November’s contest.

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field.

We will post all winning essay results by December 31st. You can check this page for the results after December 31st:

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment.

Posted: Friday, December 5, 2014 12:50:43 PM

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Food for Thought essay being selected as one of our Teen Essay runners up for November 2014.

To view all the results of our November 2014 contest, please check our winners page on or after December 31st:

Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:03:04 PM