STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Food for Thought: an Overly Conscious Eater

blossom1997
Voracious. That’s the world I’d use to describe myself. Though the quickest eater with the hugest appetite in the family, I always left the table in mess after a meal, with portions of food scattered everywhere. My mother would always squint at me during mealtimes, wondering aloud if I’d ever mature enough to impress guys with my superb table manners. Most of the times I’d never even bother to look up from devouring the dishes and my mom would just sigh.

Of course, at school I was a bit more ladylike in eating, though not much different. At least I didn’t spill food everywhere. I did eat ravenously, astonishing my friends, and sometimes I would make a small mess, but not to the extent that I appalled people. Sure, I was an unconscious eater, but I was quite content with my eating habits.

However, there was one occasion on which I was completely conscious while eating. I somehow ended up having lunch with my crush, just by ourselves, on a weekend. As I walked into the restaurant, I constantly reminded myself that I just couldn’t afford to be my voracious self in front of him. I was certain it would give him a horrible impression. I was overly conscious when the dishes came out. I picked on my food. I pretended I had a small appetite. I covered my mouth when I chewed in fear of letting the contents fall out.

At one point, my crush asked, “Do you always cover your mouth when you eat?”

I blushed. “Um… yeah,” I blurted out unconvincingly.

Though my crush didn’t question me any further, I was left miserable for the rest of the day. I felt as if my crush somehow knew my usual eating habits and thought of me as someone flirtatious who tried to impress him. I began to think of my voracious self as my Achilles’ heel.

Few months later, when I had finally gotten over my crush, I was asked out to a dinner by another guy, a pleasant person who seemed to like me just the way I was. He already knew of my huge appetite, he was always playfully admonishing me for eating too much. However, I had never eaten alone with him, and I was afraid of disappointing him too with my awful table manners.

Contrary to what I expected, I wasn’t as conscious as I had been with my previous crush. I was quite comfortable eating with this new guy. I didn’t have to fake anything. Sure, I didn’t have the most refined table manners, but he didn’t seem to care. Rather, he found this ravenous part of me adorable.

“You seem happiest when you eat,” he noted, smiling.

I laughed. “I am.”

No, I couldn’t change my appetite or my table manners. But it seemed that there was someone in the world ready to love me for who I was, the voracious girl.

Proves it isn’t so wrong to be voracious.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Food for Thought essay being chosen as 1 of the 11 essays in the running for 1st place for our November 2014 teen writing competition. Be proud of your accomplishment. We had almost 200 essays submitted for November’s contest.

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field.

We will post all winning essay results by December 31st. You can check this page for the results after December 31st:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Friday, December 5, 2014 12:50:43 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Food for Thought essay being selected as one of our Teen Essay runners up for November 2014.

To view all the results of our November 2014 contest, please check our winners page on or after December 31st:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:03:04 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy