STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Food For Thought: Pig Dog's Thanksgiving

maddycatmail
My family is a very unique one, for many reasons. The first, while seemingly unrelated to food entirely, is actually one of the key components in this food-based story. My family, the Pettys, loves nicknames. From my sister Gus (yes, I said sister) to my cousin Blup to me, Cat D’Wild, we all have one. Even our pets. This is the story of my aunt’s eccentric Sheltie, Pig Dog, and the origins of her unflattering nickname.

Let’s establish first and foremost who the Pettys are, or at least who they were when this story took place. Picture a family of entirely girls; one grandmother, her two girls and four granddaughters. At the time, my sister, my cousins and I were aged fifteen, four, five, and six. I was the five-year-old. It was Thanksgiving, and we were all together for the holidays, like we had been doing for as long as any of us had been alive. My aunt had been in charge of bringing most of the food with her from Calgary, where she and my cousins lived. Why? Let’s just say that she was the far superior cook between her and my mother. Understandably, there was a great deal of hustle and bustle when they all came piling into the house with their bags strewn all over the place and the three dogs (Terra, my aunt’s Sheltie, among them) barking themselves to death and food being passed from person to person like some sort of giant edible train. My aunt hadn’t been in the house for five minutes when she realized that my mom had forgotten to buy cranberry sauce for the turkey. It was already almost dinnertime, so the two of them made the executive decision to take us all to the store with them so that they wouldn’t have to leave my angst-ridden teenage sister in charge. They also made the rather stupid executive decision to leave all of the food out while we were gone, assuming that none of the dogs (the other two of which being a Chihuahua and a Shi Tzu) would be able to reach it up on the table.

Of course, they were wrong.

What we ended up coming home to was a food massacre! Mashed potatoes and carrots stuck to the floor, creating squished, sad little designs alongside rivers of spilled gravy. The recently filled dish of butter sat, empty, the only thing left on the table. The turkey, butchered into pieces and scattered across the floor, looked about as unappetizing as a pile of rocks. And there was Terra, lounging in the mess and looking utterly pleased with herself. After seven gaping mouths were frozen in shock for a number of seconds, my younger cousin Hannah finally broke the silence. She put her hands on her hips, pointed at Terra and cried: “Terra!!! You piggy, piggy dog!”

Needless to say, we had pizza for dinner that Thanksgiving.

And therein lies my food story; the story of our piggy, piggy dog.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy