Food For Thought: Pig Dog's Thanksgiving

maddycatmail
My family is a very unique one, for many reasons. The first, while seemingly unrelated to food entirely, is actually one of the key components in this food-based story. My family, the Pettys, loves nicknames. From my sister Gus (yes, I said sister) to my cousin Blup to me, Cat D’Wild, we all have one. Even our pets. This is the story of my aunt’s eccentric Sheltie, Pig Dog, and the origins of her unflattering nickname.

Let’s establish first and foremost who the Pettys are, or at least who they were when this story took place. Picture a family of entirely girls; one grandmother, her two girls and four granddaughters. At the time, my sister, my cousins and I were aged fifteen, four, five, and six. I was the five-year-old. It was Thanksgiving, and we were all together for the holidays, like we had been doing for as long as any of us had been alive. My aunt had been in charge of bringing most of the food with her from Calgary, where she and my cousins lived. Why? Let’s just say that she was the far superior cook between her and my mother. Understandably, there was a great deal of hustle and bustle when they all came piling into the house with their bags strewn all over the place and the three dogs (Terra, my aunt’s Sheltie, among them) barking themselves to death and food being passed from person to person like some sort of giant edible train. My aunt hadn’t been in the house for five minutes when she realized that my mom had forgotten to buy cranberry sauce for the turkey. It was already almost dinnertime, so the two of them made the executive decision to take us all to the store with them so that they wouldn’t have to leave my angst-ridden teenage sister in charge. They also made the rather stupid executive decision to leave all of the food out while we were gone, assuming that none of the dogs (the other two of which being a Chihuahua and a Shi Tzu) would be able to reach it up on the table.

Of course, they were wrong.

What we ended up coming home to was a food massacre! Mashed potatoes and carrots stuck to the floor, creating squished, sad little designs alongside rivers of spilled gravy. The recently filled dish of butter sat, empty, the only thing left on the table. The turkey, butchered into pieces and scattered across the floor, looked about as unappetizing as a pile of rocks. And there was Terra, lounging in the mess and looking utterly pleased with herself. After seven gaping mouths were frozen in shock for a number of seconds, my younger cousin Hannah finally broke the silence. She put her hands on her hips, pointed at Terra and cried: “Terra!!! You piggy, piggy dog!”

Needless to say, we had pizza for dinner that Thanksgiving.

And therein lies my food story; the story of our piggy, piggy dog.