Food for Thought: Happiness and Mexican food

Shadowfox72
My memories make me who I am. I have never been the one to like being the center of attention. I have always been happy just watching from the sidelines and never being part of the group. Recently though I have joined my schools robotics team and have made many new memories in the short time I have been a part of it. We went to a Mexican restaurant one night after a competition. There were two long tables for all the members to sit at. I sat at the table with the people I was most comfortable with. They all seemed so happy, talking animatedly about anything and everything they had seen and done that day. The people at the table behind me were doing the same thing with a round of laughter every once in a while. The atmosphere it gave off was inviting and warm. Not one person was frowning or even remotely bored. Eventually my friend said it was hard to look into the eyes of people with lighter irises and I got dragged into a staring contest to prove that it was no different than looking into the eyes of people with darker irises. I can't hold eye contact with anyone though so I don't know why the wanted me to prove it. When the food came the restaurant messed up my order but what they brought me was almost the same as what I ordered so I stayed quiet. Through out dinner everyone was talking and smiling. Some shared food and others ate almost two orders. The food itself was just ok but what matters is not the food but the people. The people that I shared my time with that is what I remember, not the food. It was just a normal dinner for most people but I was really happy. I may not be good at describing the atmosphere, but that kind of happiness is something where I have always been the outsider looking in. I was and still am content with that since watching others be happy makes me happy too. That atmosphere and happiness is something very precious though and you only will learn the value of when it is absent. My memories make me who I am and this one will certainly stay with me no matter how insignificant it may seem to others.