STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Food for Thought: The Memories We Cooked Up in the Kitchen

serli
Food for Thought: The Memories We Cooked Up in the Kitchen

Ever since I was little, I had a love for food and cooking. Being surrounded by aunts and grandparents who were all kitchen fanatics really caught my attention. As I began to grow up I started to watch more and more cooking shows and reading recipes I found in magazines. At one point I was even convinced I had a hidden talent all because I made chocolate covered pretzels. Eventually, when I got to junior high, one of the elective classes offered was a foods class. First year I took that class they taught us the basic kitchen safety rules and the different ways to mix, measure, and make different varieties of dishes. It was mostly a written class which at times got boring. However, we cooked with our groups once a week which kept a lot of us interested enough to take Advanced Foods the year after. Advanced Foods however a completely different story was. We cooked almost every day. Our teacher even organized a plan where we had faculty luncheons. Every group was assigned different recipes based off one theme and we had about four days to prepare an entire luncheon for our entire schools faculty. Even though there was a lot if pressure on all of us, the fact that we got to experience it with our friends made it so fun. I still remember all of our inside jokes throughout the entire year. And going back to class after these luncheons and having all my teachers bragging to the whole classes about what an amazing job the Advanced Foods class did was such an accomplishing feeling. Experiencing all these amazing moments with some of my closest friends doing what I loved the most gave me such amazing memories that every time I think about it, I love cooking more and more. Being in the kitchen with people who have the same interest as you creates a special bond that always stays with you. It has been almost two whole years since we left our Advanced Foods class, and my friends and I from that class still talk about the insiders and memories we made there. When I think of my best “food” memories, most of the things that come to mind are from that class. It was such an extraordinary experience that I still remember some of the recipes by memory. Specifically our Italian themed luncheon also known as the one that we stressed over the most, but in the end the entire faculty applauded us and we continued getting great responses for a good two weeks after. The memories we made in that class are going to follow us forever and remind us what made us love the art of cooking in the first place.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy