Food for Thought: The Memories We Cooked Up in the Kitchen

serli

Ever since I was little, I had a love for food and cooking. Being surrounded by aunts and grandparents who were all kitchen fanatics really caught my attention. As I began to grow up I started to watch more and more cooking shows and reading recipes I found in magazines. At one point I was even convinced I had a hidden talent all because I made chocolate covered pretzels. Eventually, when I got to junior high, one of the elective classes offered was a foods class. First year I took that class they taught us the basic kitchen safety rules and the different ways to mix, measure, and make different varieties of dishes. It was mostly a written class which at times got boring. However, we cooked with our groups once a week which kept a lot of us interested enough to take Advanced Foods the year after. Advanced Foods however a completely different story was. We cooked almost every day. Our teacher even organized a plan where we had faculty luncheons. Every group was assigned different recipes based off one theme and we had about four days to prepare an entire luncheon for our entire schools faculty. Even though there was a lot if pressure on all of us, the fact that we got to experience it with our friends made it so fun. I still remember all of our inside jokes throughout the entire year. And going back to class after these luncheons and having all my teachers bragging to the whole classes about what an amazing job the Advanced Foods class did was such an accomplishing feeling. Experiencing all these amazing moments with some of my closest friends doing what I loved the most gave me such amazing memories that every time I think about it, I love cooking more and more. Being in the kitchen with people who have the same interest as you creates a special bond that always stays with you. It has been almost two whole years since we left our Advanced Foods class, and my friends and I from that class still talk about the insiders and memories we made there. When I think of my best “food” memories, most of the things that come to mind are from that class. It was such an extraordinary experience that I still remember some of the recipes by memory. Specifically our Italian themed luncheon also known as the one that we stressed over the most, but in the end the entire faculty applauded us and we continued getting great responses for a good two weeks after. The memories we made in that class are going to follow us forever and remind us what made us love the art of cooking in the first place.