Food for Thought: Blinchik in Winter

Gagik.Kesapyan

Every time winter comes around, I know that its the time when my mom breaks out the frying pan and mixer to start making blinchik. Blinchik is an Russian dish that is very simple, its just a crepe with meat inside of it. After you roll the blinchiks, you have to pan fry them and eat with a little fresh lemon squeezed on top or wrapped in lavash. My mother makes this every year and she makes it for our household and for our close relatives. She makes a lot and we freeze them and once it’s time to eat them we take them out of the freezer and fry them. We do this because the freezer keeps them fresh and since there is meat in there you can’t just leave it out.

After New Years, it is an Armenian tradition to visit almost every close and distant relatives house to congratulate them on the new year and wish them a happy and fortuitous year. When you go to someone house at this time, it is very likely to see blinchik on the table. This dish is pretty popular and is usually made very differently and how it looks and tastes all depends on who’s making it. Each person has their own way of making the meat filling and what kind of spices they put in there. Another thing that varies on the maker is the shape. The basic shape of a blinchik is a round roll but the size differs between the maker. Some people make them short and fat and other like my mother make them long and skinny. I prefer it long and skinny because it is easier to eat and its not loaded up with so much meat.

In Russian, blinchik is eaten for breakfast and is not only filled with meat but other things like mushrooms and different type of jams and sweet spreads for dessert or a sweet treat. All this is different from the Armenian culture and how the Armenian culture eats this dish because we eat it as more of an appetizer or something that you can eat while sitting down and having a talk. Its not a very light dish because it is fried and a quite greasy but it is very delicious. I would recommend anyone to learn how to make it or find a store that sells them because they are very delicious and worth the time you put in making it.