STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Food for Thought: Blinchik in Winter

Gagik.Kesapyan

Every time winter comes around, I know that its the time when my mom breaks out the frying pan and mixer to start making blinchik. Blinchik is an Russian dish that is very simple, its just a crepe with meat inside of it. After you roll the blinchiks, you have to pan fry them and eat with a little fresh lemon squeezed on top or wrapped in lavash. My mother makes this every year and she makes it for our household and for our close relatives. She makes a lot and we freeze them and once it’s time to eat them we take them out of the freezer and fry them. We do this because the freezer keeps them fresh and since there is meat in there you can’t just leave it out.

After New Years, it is an Armenian tradition to visit almost every close and distant relatives house to congratulate them on the new year and wish them a happy and fortuitous year. When you go to someone house at this time, it is very likely to see blinchik on the table. This dish is pretty popular and is usually made very differently and how it looks and tastes all depends on who’s making it. Each person has their own way of making the meat filling and what kind of spices they put in there. Another thing that varies on the maker is the shape. The basic shape of a blinchik is a round roll but the size differs between the maker. Some people make them short and fat and other like my mother make them long and skinny. I prefer it long and skinny because it is easier to eat and its not loaded up with so much meat.

In Russian, blinchik is eaten for breakfast and is not only filled with meat but other things like mushrooms and different type of jams and sweet spreads for dessert or a sweet treat. All this is different from the Armenian culture and how the Armenian culture eats this dish because we eat it as more of an appetizer or something that you can eat while sitting down and having a talk. Its not a very light dish because it is fried and a quite greasy but it is very delicious. I would recommend anyone to learn how to make it or find a store that sells them because they are very delicious and worth the time you put in making it.

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy