Food for Thought: Christmas Dinner

apal0925
The first thing that comes across my mind during the holidays is a family feast. Christmas Eve is one of the best days of the year for me because all of my relatives come to my house, and we all sit at the table like a big family to have a great time. We make great memories, share lots of stories, and have a huge feast. Out of all the dishes my family brings to the table on Christmas Eve, I have to say that my uncle’s special ribs and the khorovatz(Armenian BBQ), are my all-time favorites. Being half Armenian, khorovatz is something that I share with my family several times throughout the year. However, what makes it so special on Christmas Eve is that ALL the men in my family gather around the grill and bond while the meat is cooking. When all the food is prepared, we all meet in the dining room and prepare for an amazing feast. After our prayers are done, my hand is always the first to shoot for the ribs. Each bite I take is a slice of heaven. I literally sit there for a minute just savoring the delicious piece of meat. The taste of the heavily marinated ribs takes me back to the Christmas before, and the ones before it. About ten minutes into the feast, most of us are nearly full. However, we keep eating because the food is just too irresistible. I’ll always cherish the memories I made during Christmas dinners. I’m grateful that I can look back at these memories and appreciate them when I’m older.