Food for Thought: What Brought My Family Together

SamFo
When it comes to cooking there is usually two different types of people. There are the people who love to cook and those that absolutely hate it. Well, I honestly couldn't care less about cooking. As long as my food tastes good I’m pretty much fine and dandy. But, as far as my not caring goes, it seems to bring people together. Especially in those cliche Thanksgiving and Christmas movies where huge families flock to one house just for a meal that I in particular don’t find very appetizing. I would much rather eat some ravioli or pizza for holiday dinners. In spite of all that I still have at least one fond family memory where we’re cooking, or shall I say mixing.
I was around five or six, right before my title as the baby was taken from me and given to my soon-to-be born nephew. I remember my brothers still came to visit every Thanksgiving and Christmas. My siblings were talking and getting everything set for dinner, I was listening in rapt silence to their many teenage adventures, while my parents cooked our Thanksgiving dinner. Then my mom said, “I’m gonna make some Big Red Ice Cream” all nonchalant, like she didn't know all of our ears would perk up and our mouths would involuntarily start drooling like a puppy who sees bacon. You see, unlike most things, Big Red Ice Cream was one of the only things all five us could agree on. We all LOVED it. And my mom didn't make it for just anyone or all the time. It was for family only and only on Holidays or birthdays. So this special occasion was made even more special. Our love of this one delicious dessert has brought us together over the years, even when we are mad at each other. We get over it, for the ice cream. It’s our way of saying I’m sorry.
My brothers don’t come every Thanksgiving, not even every Christmas. They haven’t come for the holidays in a couple years. Neither do my sisters who live in the same city as my parents and I. They have more important places to be. But I don’t care, that just means I get to be the baby again, even if it’s just for a day.