Food For Thought: Friday Comes Around Once Again

OrginalUsername1799
Growing up in my home, my parents and I never really ate dinner at a table together. Not because we didn’t want to, but it had always become such a bad habit to simply eat in our rooms or just sit on the couch and watch television while eating. Yet there was one day where the family always got together and actually ate all together, that day was Friday. The reason for this gathering was the fact that my grandmother had decided to cook for us and of course we couldn’t say no. Whatever the meal was, regardless of whether we liked it or not, the family always seemed so happy to just be together and that was truly a beautiful thing to be a part of. Sitting around the table we don’t just sit down to eat, once we sit down that’s a time where we can just talk about whatever we want, from our daily stresses to what we were watching on TV that week. There was no end to the chatter, we even cracked jokes about each other even if they were slightly offending, but no one cares because that’s just what family does.
Along with that there is always the amazing food that my grandmother puts all her effort in making, to me it’s the best part of the night because seriously, who doesn’t love food? There are times when she will make food that really isn’t appealing to me, but my grandmother comes through by making me my favorite dish ever, eggs and rice. Now I know that sounds super plain, but trust me it is literally one of the best meals that I have ever had. You see I like my eggs sunny side up so I love the yolk, even though I know it’s bad for my cholesterol, then she makes the red rice which is just basically rice in tomato sauce although she somehow makes it seem so much better. Recently I haven’t eaten this dish, which really makes me sad as I have been longing for it. With this said, my grandma makes a lot of other delicious food that I will eat with out hesitation, or at least until my parents tell me that I have had enough. No matter how hard life may seem Friday is always a day that I can look forward too not because I don’t have school the next day but for the simple of enjoyment of eating with my family.