Food For Thought: Culinary Elegance or Father-Daughter Pastime

fitzpatrick_sc

The definition of food is simply; any nutritious material which people, animals and other organisms consume or absorb, to sustain life and continue growth. Yet, over the past 1.9 million years cooking and culinary arts have increased from being merely eating to survive into a cultural phenomenon. Cooking is not only found throughout most homes, restaurants and is featured as part of everyday living. As well as, cooking is also seen as an art, culinary arts can be seen as a sign of elegance and sophistication.

I, myself see cooking as an art, as well I see it as a fantastic hobby and vital part of human culture. Personally, I thoroughly enjoy cooking as well as, experiencing new recipes and flavors. Whenever I go to a restaurant; I love to pretend that I am a food critic and I pay attention to every detail. As an example; I focus on not only taste or flavor but the presentation and plating of the meal. Although, I don’t make comments to nor confront the chef, I enjoy my meal and make comments to myself in my head.

When I cook, I like to make my meals restaurant quality and elegant. Even though it is only me who will be experiencing the food I still enjoy pushing myself to be better. I adore trying new and different recipes, finding new ways to incorporate different flavors and embellishments. I feel that food shouldn’t just be a package of hotdogs for supper; you should look forward to eating and creating a new combination of flavors. Although, I do I agree that making a culinary master piece for every meal can be time consuming, but it a simple and easy way to perk up your day to day life.

Ever since I could remember I loved food, making new recipes and even old family favorites. Watching movies like Ratatouille as kid taught me that “anyone can cook” and really opened my eyes to possibilities of different recipes. As I got older one of my favorite movies became Julie and Julia, a story about an aspiring chef looking up to her role model Julia Child. Which brought me to the thought of why I enjoy cooking as much as I do, my father. My dad has been in the food service business for nearly 25 years. He’s worked for numerous different services and companies, which led him to always come home with new product and recipes to try. As I child I really loved to watch him try different combinations and recipes. Some of which were delicious, but most of which didn’t turn out and we ended up throwing out.

Throughout all the trial and errors of every dish we experimented, I learned a lot about what flavors and spices could make or break your meal. For instance; tomatoes and basil, they pretty much go perfectly together in every dish imaginable. Or lemon and avocado are like Siamese twins that should never be separated.