Food For Thought: Most Wonderful Time of the Year

aparsamyan
I’ve waited all year for this! Christmas! The meaning of Christmas changes every year as a person grows up. At first it starts off as only thinking about the presents. Then, a child goes through the phase of “Christmas is not all about presents.” I’m at the next stage. Christmas is about the food you have. What makes Christmas the best holiday in my family is that this is one of the few times we all come together to sit down and have fun with each other. Last year, my cousin from Canada came with her daughter to visit us for Christmas. She made one of her secret dessert recipes that I can’t wait until is passed down to me. Besides having that new meal on the Christmas table, we celebrated Christmas twice. Once was at my house where we all gathered together except for my cousin and his family that live here. Obviously, the only solution to that is to celebrate Christmas again at their house. Christmas dinner at my house is if not more or less the same way it is every year. My mom makes Dolma, an Armenian dish that is very popular, all her different types of salads, and sometimes when she’s feeling extra sweet, she’ll make a sweet vanilla and chocolate cake. The cake is special because she only bakes it for Christmas when there is big news that someone is waiting to tell us. And usually it’s good news.
The Christmas that we spend at my cousin’s house is very traditional as well. Every year they order Armenian Barbeque and the salads that come with it. Besides this, my cousin’s mom makes her popular fish with her secret recipe. Since Christmas and New Years are so close to each other, we sometimes do Christmas and New Years at their house on the same day. The best part about that is when the New Year concerts start counting down for the New Year and my cousin gets the champagne ready to pop. Even though we usually do the same thing every year, I don’t think it’ll ever get old. Remember, Christmas isn't about the presents, it’s about the food.