Food for Thought: Airplane Food!

JSim0340
I was only about five to six years old when I went on my first airplane. It was a crazy experience for a young person like myself. It was my aunt, sister and me on a one-way flight to Russia. It was a twelve-hour flight and as you can imagine it is very boring for a young child. There are you two things I was looking forward to on the flight and that was the food and landing. So around half way in the flight, my aunt told me that the flight attendants were coming to ask us what we want to eat. I asked her to order for me and so she did. I didn't pay much attention to what she said so by the time the food got to me it was a complete surprise as to what it is. It wasn't some sort of amazing flaming dish, or some sushi, but instead it was a simple sandwich. The only thing that was on the sandwich was obviously the bread, the meat, and some mayo. When I took that first bite I couldn't believe the amazing taste in my mouth. The bread was soft and warm, the meat nice and tender, and just the right amount of mayo. When I was all done, I kept on asking my aunt for more. She was getting an earful and you can trust me on that. A little later on in the flight I settled down and was back to sitting on a boring flight. But all of a sudden I realized that I didn't know what kind of meat I just ate. So I decided to ask my aunt, who was the one who ordered the food, and I got a foreign language response which translates to Canadian bacon. I was so shocked because the only bacon I knew of was the ones that went on burgers. So after spending my month in Russia it was time to head home. As you can imagine I was looking forward to at some more wonderful bacon. Only at the time I didn't understand how airlines work and that not all airlines served the same food. I was so depressed when I found out halfway into the flight. From than on out, AirFrance became my favorite airline. I wonder how I remember this story sometimes but usually when I do remember it’s with a Canadian bacon sandwich in my hands. Even after ten years I'm still eating that wonderful piece of meat and it all started on one glorious airplane trip.