Food for Thought: A Portal to the Past

NarvikM

Growing up in Iran, I made quite a few food memories; however, there is one that I distinctly remember. Eight years ago, when I lived in Iran, my uncle and his family visited from Toronto, Canada for Christmas. My family and I drove to IKA and diligently waited nearly four hours for our guests to arrive via airplane. By the time they had gone through all the security checks, it was nearly five in the morning. When they came through the tunnel leading to us, I was stricken with joy since it was the first and only time I had ever seen my uncle’s family. After greeting them, we headed home in our van. On the way there, my uncle’s two sons and I grew very hungry so my father took a detour to a famous restaurant that supposedly had the best Iranian cuisine in Tehran. When we arrived, I noticed a never-ending queue that stretched around the entire block. After one hour, it was our turn to order. Since we didn’t recognize any of the dishes, my father suggested that we order the Kaleh Pache dish so we did. It was quickly prepared and served with Sangak, a sourdough flatbread. The dish consists of sheep’s head, brain, tongue and hooves, which are cooked in a broth with spices. When I saw the monstrosity of a dish that it was, I was reluctant to eat it. After refusing to eat for a while, the savory aroma overwhelmed me and I took my first bite of the concoction. It melted in my mouth. To this day, it is the best dish I have ever had. We ate, talked, and had a blast of a time. I finally got to bond with my cousins.
Eight years have gone by and I still remember that day. Every time I smell something like Kaleh Pache, I remember the members of my family that don’t live in America. I remember my grandmother, grandfather, and many of my cousins that I haven’t seen for years. I remember the memories I created with them. Food is truly a beautiful thing. To me, food isn’t just food, it is culture, tradition, and the memories created with one’s family.

Note: Italization is not available. This is why i didn't italicize the food names.