Food for thought: Family and Sweet Potatoes

megancook

I have a big family. Thanksgiving has always been a day where everyone comes together, and it's probably even bigger than Christmas. The guys watch football in the living room, while the gals prepare the food in the kitchen.
Oh the food! Where do I start?
Child-hood memories flood my mind...
There were always the traditional Thanksgiving foods, such as turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie. I remember wrinkling my nose at the stuffing; I didn't like that at all. And I remember sneaking fingerfulls of mashed potatoes when Grandma's back was turned, or breaking a tiny corner of crust off one of the pies when no one was looking.
The house was full and loud, as my Dad, Grandpa, and Uncles yelled at every bad call on the TV screen and high-fived when their team scored. Mom, Grandma, and the Aunts told stories, shared family memories and laughed til they cried. "They sound like cackling chickens!" I whispered to my brother. He grinned and went off to see what the cousins were playing in the next room.
But I waited around near the oven, because my favorite Thanksgiving dish was inside. After what seemed like forever, great-grandma would open the door and pull out a pan of my most loved holiday dish; sweet potatoes, with marshmallows scattered over the top, melting down the sides and making a sticky masterpiece.
My mouth watered and I could almost taste them. The smell was to die for!
At long last, the table was set, the entire family gathered and my Grandpa prayed to bless the food in his strong, clear voice, thanking God for his blessings.
The food was dished up and served and I ate more than my fill of food, but most of all those delicious, soft, gooey, sweet potatoes.
I am older now and my great-grandma goes to Florida early, before winter sets in. This is the second year I won't be having those sweet potatoes, but they are still my favorite and they bring back memories of Thanksgivings past, with my family around me and happiness in our hearts.