Food for Thought: Out of Control Cheese

andi620
Canned cheese: the epitome of disgusting American food, yet enjoyed by many. Having it was always a treat, one that only came around when my grandmother visited. It was handed to me with a warning not to eat too much, then I was free to have it. I would sit at the kitchen table with a sleeve of Ritz crackers sitting next to me, happily munching away on the chemically created ‘food’.
One fateful day, a can of the cheese was sitting on the counter in our kitchen. Being the ever excited child I was, I ran up the stairs in anticipation for the glorious snack.
After filling three crackers with it, I set the can back on the counter, then turned to go back downstairs and join my family by the fire place. However, that didn't happen right away. Despite what I thought, the can was not completely on the counter, so when I took my hand off, it fell and hit the ground with a loud thud.
What not many people seem to know about canned cheese is that when you drop it, the dispenser breaks and the cheese shoots out. Everywhere. I learned this the hard way.
The can took the seemingly endless fall to the kitchen floor, then it went insane.
Flopping around like a fish out of water, it shot out an endless stream of the bright yellow substance. In the midst of it all, I could be heard yelling “Out of control cheese! Out of control cheese!”
My dog, sensing my distress as well as smelling the cheese, and ran up the stairs and started mopping it all up with his tongue.
Shouts of “Get the dog away!” and “Pick up the can”, as well as immense laughter, came from my family members.
Despite that horrid incident, canned cheese is still a tradition for my family. Every year, my grandma brings it over for Thanksgiving, but to this day, I’m not allowed to get my own cracker with cheese, and that will probably last for the rest of my life.