Food For Thought: Africa's Luxury

JoleneBerthold
In Africa, the food was scarce for some, but plentiful for others. I lived in Johannesburg, and ate just as much as many Americans. I always knew there were people suffering day and night without a meal, or even a place to sit and eat. I didn’t think about it until I moved to America, where not only do most people eat, they eat a lot. Americans also have mastered the act of throwing away whatever they don’t desire to consume. Thanksgiving wasn’t a holiday in Africa, but if it was, I know that we would be finishing what was on our plate, and saving what was still in the pots and pans. In Johannesburg, South Africa, most people were white, and not everyone was as unfortunate where I lived, but it was the city, and it wasn’t a wealthy one. In my early childhood I lived where there were children on roads, and single mothers giving them their last meal. I watched the young children get skinnier each day, and when they began to disappear, I made a promise to myself that I would never take what I have for granted. Now, as I reside in America, and think about my meals, and the days of festivity, I think of the children in Africa. I wonder what it would be like to be able to bring my turkey or my mashed potatoes to the less fortunate; I wonder about the smile it would bring. I lived with the needy for more than half of my life, and have learnt that food is more of a luxury than the rich could ever imagine, and the poor could ever dream of.