STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Food for Thought: Those Red Gumball Eyes

[email protected]
Most people do not remember very much about their early childhood, and I am part of that majority. I remember snippets – sections of movies, flashes of vision, echoes of sounds – but more than anything, I remember the ice cream truck. The Old Man lived three streets away from me, a lonely person who everyone talked about but nobody knew. I was three when he bought a small white truck and started selling ice cream around the neighborhoods. I was not allowed to buy anything from him until I was five, though, because nobody liked the Old Man, including my parents.
The Old Man was a tall, slim, gray-haired, wrinkly old man. His skin looked coarse like leather, and his hair was always unkempt. Every afternoon of the summer one would be sitting in their living room or on their porch, and then the sound of ‘Pop Goes the Weasel’ or ‘La Cucaracha’ would be heard from down the street. It would get closer and closer, and then the white ice cream truck would appear with the Old Man inside.
At the corner of my street he would be stopped daily by the numerous children that lived on my block. They would bombard his truck with shrieks and giggles and pour their parents’ money into his hands for ice cream – and what wonderful, fantastic things he handed them: ice cream bars of chocolate and vanilla and strawberry, and bars of all three, and popsicles flavored like every fruit one could imagine, and popsicles colored red, white, and blue, and popsicles the size of rulers and popsicles the size of pencils and, best of all, popsicles shaped and colored like characters from video games. I spent years convincing my parents to let me go buy ice cream from in, and then finally, one day, they let me. My father put three dollars in my hand and told me to hurry back.
I darted out of the house and to the ice cream man parked at the end of my street, and as I gazed over the options, my five-year-old eyes fell on a popsicle shaped like Mario from all of my Nintendo games. My little heart fluttered, and before I knew it, I was handing the Old Man my money and being handed a fresh-looking, beautiful, ornate Mario popsicle. I was filled with satisfaction as I studied the popsicle intensely, jubilating over all of the minute details that made this popsicle worth the two dollars I paid for it. And its eyes were the best of all: for in the sockets of this ice cream Mario sat two beautiful, enticing, fantastic red gumball eyes. I was ecstatic to say the least.
I am much older now, and the Old Man is dead. He was near seventy when he began, and he died some time ago. I have not heard the sound of that ice cream truck for many years, but I still remember those red gumball eyes.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Food for Thought essay being chosen as 1 of the 11 essays in the running for 1st place for our November 2014 teen writing competition. Be proud of your accomplishment. We had almost 200 essays submitted for November’s contest.

We are in the process of selecting our top three winners, and naming the 1st place winner from the narrowed field.

We will post all winning essay results by December 31st. You can check this page for the results after December 31st:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Friday, December 5, 2014 1:04:26 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Food for Thought essay being selected as one of our Teen Essay runners up for November 2014.

To view all the results of our November 2014 contest, please check our winners page on or after December 31st:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2014 5:03:59 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy