Food for Thought: Unintentional Gluttony Throughout Our Daily Lives

emilyreyneri
"Please,” he said to me. “Do you have food? I’m so hungry, please”
The simple yet powerful words spoken out of the man’s dry mouth sent chills down my spine. He was clearly homeless; even aside from his despondent words, his appearance proved his circumstances as well.
He wore nothing but boxers that looked as if they hadn’t been washed in weeks; and he had the incapability to support himself, literally. He was an amputee, who began to drag himself across the stone hard pavement in my direction, continuing to beg.
“Miss, do you have food? Or money?” he said, his crackling voice even more grievous than before.
“Please, if you could give me some food, please”
I was still in shock of the man’s physical condition; in shock of how one could survive if they were in his position.
The internal imprint of his ribcage was very distinct; it would rip through his fragile flesh if he continued to be bound with food deprivation.
His facial expression remained calm, but his words spoke otherwise. Whenever he would speak, his eyes, always interlocking with mine, screamed of agony, pain, and suffering.
Each time he spoke the words ‘I’m hungry’, I felt them grasp my throat, preventing any air from surpassing the blockage, to where my mouth desperately croaked.

The same mouth that had eaten an hour earlier.
The same mouth that had said “You can just throw it out”, when its waiter asked what to do with the barely-touched, unfinished leftovers.
I reminisced on the thought of my previous meal; the overindulgent feast that could’ve been a meal for two, maybe even three. The smell of it, now suffocates my mind, making me wonder what this man would do for even a bite of my dish.
Oh the gluttony I fell into; ordering an overly excessive proportioned three-course meal, when I should realize there are people that are starving for even a thought of food.
I thought about the words I had said to my grandmother, who had paid for our meal in her only cash, when our entrée arrived at the table:
‘I’m so full! I can barely take another bite’
I thought about the food I made the waitress toss out. The food that would merely rot into trash rather than be digested by a starving, human being in utter desolation.
“Miss, do you hear me? Please”
If I had only asked for a box, I could’ve fed this man. I could’ve given him his best meal in days, weeks, maybe even months.
He came closer to me, breaking my horrid trance.
“Excuse me, miss please?”
The antagonizing thoughts were so painfully unbearable that they had provoked an ulcer like pain in my soul. With no food or money, I could do nothing but walk away and send my condolences.
“I’m sorry”, I said as I began to walk in the opposite direction.
“Miss, I’m starving, please!”