STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Food for Thought: Unintentional Gluttony Throughout Our Daily Lives

emilyreyneri
"Please,” he said to me. “Do you have food? I’m so hungry, please”
The simple yet powerful words spoken out of the man’s dry mouth sent chills down my spine. He was clearly homeless; even aside from his despondent words, his appearance proved his circumstances as well.
He wore nothing but boxers that looked as if they hadn’t been washed in weeks; and he had the incapability to support himself, literally. He was an amputee, who began to drag himself across the stone hard pavement in my direction, continuing to beg.
“Miss, do you have food? Or money?” he said, his crackling voice even more grievous than before.
“Please, if you could give me some food, please”
I was still in shock of the man’s physical condition; in shock of how one could survive if they were in his position.
The internal imprint of his ribcage was very distinct; it would rip through his fragile flesh if he continued to be bound with food deprivation.
His facial expression remained calm, but his words spoke otherwise. Whenever he would speak, his eyes, always interlocking with mine, screamed of agony, pain, and suffering.
Each time he spoke the words ‘I’m hungry’, I felt them grasp my throat, preventing any air from surpassing the blockage, to where my mouth desperately croaked.

The same mouth that had eaten an hour earlier.
The same mouth that had said “You can just throw it out”, when its waiter asked what to do with the barely-touched, unfinished leftovers.
I reminisced on the thought of my previous meal; the overindulgent feast that could’ve been a meal for two, maybe even three. The smell of it, now suffocates my mind, making me wonder what this man would do for even a bite of my dish.
Oh the gluttony I fell into; ordering an overly excessive proportioned three-course meal, when I should realize there are people that are starving for even a thought of food.
I thought about the words I had said to my grandmother, who had paid for our meal in her only cash, when our entrée arrived at the table:
‘I’m so full! I can barely take another bite’
I thought about the food I made the waitress toss out. The food that would merely rot into trash rather than be digested by a starving, human being in utter desolation.
“Miss, do you hear me? Please”
If I had only asked for a box, I could’ve fed this man. I could’ve given him his best meal in days, weeks, maybe even months.
He came closer to me, breaking my horrid trance.
“Excuse me, miss please?”
The antagonizing thoughts were so painfully unbearable that they had provoked an ulcer like pain in my soul. With no food or money, I could do nothing but walk away and send my condolences.
“I’m sorry”, I said as I began to walk in the opposite direction.
“Miss, I’m starving, please!”
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy