STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Scar: What I Couldn't See

Gingersnap
I first met Emma through a mutual friend in 8th grade. We never grew to be more than friendly acquaintances that year, but through other friends I was able to learn about her. She was only a year younger than me, but already she had gone through more in 12 years than most people go through in three decades.

She had lost her mother when she was really young, and her brother suffered from a small mental illness. Her father, although he was loving and tried very hard to support his two children, endured several health problems, sending his family through a series of emotional rollercoasters with his sudden hospitalizations and surgeries. Despite all of this, Emma managed to stay a survivor. She was a quiet girl who loved to express herself through boisterous laughter and art.

Although I saw her here and there, I didn’t talk to Emma until about two years later, where I was privileged to have a class in high school with her. My opportunities to befriend her increased as she started attending my church that same year.

I took it upon myself to take her under my wing. We slowly began to grow closer as friends, and little by little she opened up to me. Most of the time we complained about the class, or told each other funny stories and jokes. Once in a while, Emma would mention something about her home life. A part of me grew concerned about the environment she was growing up in, but she often brushed her problems off like they were nothing. Surely, I thought, she would tell me if something was truly wrong. So I said nothing.

What I didn’t notice was how she always wore a jacket or long sleeves to school, even on blistering hot days. I was too absorbed in my own problems to see the way that her flamboyant words sometimes carried a heavy weight behind them. Sometimes when she came to school she was extra quiet, but I just brushed it off as her having a bad day.

I got a much needed wake-up call the day Emma walked into class without her jacket. At first I was confused, but my stomach clenched and my throat closed up as I realized that the thin, white scars scattered across her pale arms were the result of a deep self-hatred that I couldn’t understand. How I viewed things immediately changed. Not the way I viewed Emma -- my friendship and compassion towards her only strengthened -- but the way that I viewed myself.

It took seeing Emma’s physical scars for me to realized that she was concealing deeper, more painful scars underneath the surface. I made a promise to myself to stop being so blind, and to look past a person’s facade, because although they may seem all right on the outside, we can’t always see the wounds they are harboring on the inside.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy