Identity: Affecting Others

H_Call168
We all remember that terrifying moment on the first day of school every year growing up when the teacher made us stand up and individually tell our name and life story in a short 10 second synopsis. We all stood up on our own at our desks, our ankles almost buckling under the pressure of telling this strange new person our hobbies, favorite foods, and what sports we played. But what about now as we move onto college? How are we going to write our identity down in a "750 words or less" essay? There is a simple answer to this: we can't. They don't want to know every single aspect of our lives. They just want to know our values, the things that are important to us and the reasons we want to succeed in our lives as we come out of high school. It should be very simple to define ourselves as humans in a short vignette, yet a lot of people struggle when trying to decide what information needs to be said about themselves. Especially as teenagers, trying to decide who we are is difficult. As for me, I think I have settled on how I want to be known. That is essentially what the identity is: who or what we are known as. I am an ordinary teenage girl who wants to make a difference in the world. Successes in school as well as external gifted programs usually impress people, but I see them as experiences that formed my identity, making it a little more extraordinary. The unique situations that I have seemingly coincidentally been placed in throughout my short 16 year life so far have made me who I am today. Winning that spelling bee in the fourth grade gave me the confidence in myself to succeed today. That comment from my band teacher telling my mom, "She's so wonderful and talented!", in eight grade gave me the courage to take saxophone solos, to take up other instruments, to and "dare greatly", as the South Callaway school motto says. Church sermons from my pastor have taught me that I should treat people as I want to be treated and that I should humbly serve the Lord. The natural characteristics of my personality, such as endless kindness, love, and readiness to serve that I extend to everyone, are enhanced by these experiences. I now know how to go about serving someone in everyday life and showing them that they are loved. I have learned that even though I am only one person, I can make a big difference in the world, even if it's only the world of a little boy that I gave some encouragement to. My desire to travel with the Doctors Without Borders when I am qualified as a doctor can make a difference in the world, even though I am only one person. That's essentially what our identity is: characteristics about us that are noticed because they affect the world around us.