STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Identity: Why I Permanently Smell Like Chlorine

hdong931
“REMEMBER!” my coach would yell. And his voice would quiet down, yet always seemed to remain just loud enough for us to hear over the pool water spilling into the gutter: “Mentally tough,” he’d say, grinning ever so slightly and tapping his temple with his index finger.

It was amazing how much those words meant to me.

Four years ago, I had competed in the United States Tennis Association Junior Championships, and four years ago I had been on top of the world. But right after, four years ago, I was told I would never play competitive tennis again. Four years ago, I endured endless hours of physical therapy just so I could move my arm without feeling pain.

Then three years ago, I joined the high school swim team. Three years ago, I began to make some of my best friends. And two years ago, I received my varsity letter. Two years ago I learned to play water polo left handed. Two years ago I got a job as a lifeguard, became a member of the Navy SEALs team. And finally, one year ago, I finished 5th in the California Interscholastic Federation varsity relay meet. One year ago, I met my girlfriend. It’s amazing how much opportunity can open up in such a short time, in what appears to be your darkest moments.

I am not ashamed of admitting that I cried at first. That I stomped my feet and threw my tantrums and screamed my frustrations to the emptiness before me, to a seemingly indifferent world – a testament to my inability of expressing my emotions to people who couldn’t possibly understand. But in my misery, I learned to deal, learned to cope; in my despondency and brokenness, I was slowly pieced together, fragment by fragment until I was whole again, with a new purpose and a new confidence. That one door which had closed on me, which had locked me inside a dark, windowless prison constructed by my own insecurities and bitterness and self-pity, had also forced me to realize that the only means of escape were to break down the walls myself and create my own doors.

So that’s what I did.

Those years on the swim team instilled in me a feeling that I could never quite place but always identified with. Those years gave me a name to a quality I felt has always been an integral part of what I believe in. In a practical sense, mental toughness is more than the ability to endure physical pain. It is the refusal to ever capitulate or give up despite that constant irritating inner voice inside your head begging you to quit. It is the furrowed brow and look of concentration and steadiness in the face of mental agony. Because I’ve seen the resolve and desire burning in my teammates’ eyes and my peers’ eyes, and I know too that it must burn in mine.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy