Identity: My Own Best Friend

Brooklyn

It is a typical Thursday night at Walmart. The parking lot is a chaotic mess. Inside the store, the aisles are flooded with people. I anxiously enter through the front door to make my way back to greet my old coworker, I scan the store and see people in groups laughing and enjoying each others company. These groups of people don’t even see me and cut me off. Left out is all I feel. Why can’t I have groups of friends like these. I finally arrive after playing a dodging game with people only to discover that I will have to wait even longer than I had hoped to chat with my former coworker Angel. Though she is hard at work, she still manages to glance up long enough to greet me with an energetic wave and a brief enthusiastic smile before she looks back to help the line of customers. Finally the wait is over and I am next in line.

“Brooklyn, you should come back to work. No one smiles anymore. You were like the sunshine here.”

In awe I replied “Angel you can't mean that, I’m too awkward and weird for anyone to like.”

These words that Angel spoke will always be with me, forever in my heart. At that very moment, I have learned a valuable lesson. In high school if you are not part of a group you feel left out. You don’t have the group of friends that you can go to the games, school dances, and any other activity with. As a high school student, this feels like you can never escape the high school criticism. I have been marked the shy girl. The shy girl who truly isn't. Who wants to be friends with the shy, quiet girl? As I try to break through this wall that separates me from my shyness, I feel my peers holding the wall, like they really don’t want to get to know the real me.
Angel made me realize that I would much rather have one true friend who is always there for me, than twenty friends who talk about me behind my back to make themselves feel better. I used to think the key to feeling confident and strong was to have many friends, and that being known in high school would make me feel better about myself because people liked me. It is amazing how one conversation with a sincere friend can change your world. My conversation with Angel at Subway made me realize that I am not defined by the number of friends I have, but by being myself in whole. I am Brooklyn Straw, the quiet, shy, fun and caring person that needs just one real friend to make me happy.