Identity: Listening to Mine

kbeyeler
My identity has been shaped by the melodies of the greats. It has been stretched by the long, lingering jam sessions of The Grateful Dead, cut and sharpened by the grinding riffs of Keith Richards; cooed and coaxed by the sweet voice of James Taylor, and ignited by the inspirational anthems of Queen. Like music that flows from speakers, my identity flows around me, inviting anyone who is willing to listen to its rhythm.
Music was there for me during the hardest days of my life, comforting me through every trial. Robert Plant softly reminded me that I need to accept “what is and what should never be” in the months that I spent praying for my parents to reunite from a nasty divorce. I listened desperately as Paul McCartney advised me to “take a sad song and make it better” while I watched a loved-one succumb to the monster of addiction. Even Jack White taught me that “want and able are two different things,” after I stubbornly argued the issue of my freedom to my parents. Through every trial, the lyrics seemed to be the only advice loud enough to make an impact on me.
Just as music has eased my pain, it has added to my joy. Almost all of the greatest moments in my life took place in the company of a perfect song. Songs that, when I hear them, transport me back to those moments, those feelings, and remind me why I cherish this musical identity. The perfect example lies in tune with the words of “All You Need is Love.” Whenever that song catches my ears, I am instantly transported back to the feeling of utter freedom my friends and I felt as we drove around, by ourselves, for the first time. In instances like this, the concept of a song becomes more than just lyrics and melodies; it is a memory.
These songs are my identity. They are the lessons I have chosen to learn and practice, words in which I have trusted to guide me through the hardships of life and will remember when those helpless feelings return. These songs are also the memories that I hang onto, reminding me of those euphoric emotions that I am capable of experiencing, and promising me that they will return. My identity is music, and just as I am eager to discover the awe-inspiring sounds that I know are out there, I am ready to do the same with myself.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Identity essay being selected as one of our top 10 essays for the September 2014 writing contest. Our editors are still voting on the winning essay, and if your essay is selected, we will contact you directly via your registration email and we will post a comment on your essay.

To view all the results of our September 2014 contest, please check our winners page on or after October 30th:

Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:32:21 PM

I would like to congratulate you for your Identity essay being selected as our third place Teen Essay for September 2014.

Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:17:14 PM