STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Identity: Listening to Mine

kbeyeler
My identity has been shaped by the melodies of the greats. It has been stretched by the long, lingering jam sessions of The Grateful Dead, cut and sharpened by the grinding riffs of Keith Richards; cooed and coaxed by the sweet voice of James Taylor, and ignited by the inspirational anthems of Queen. Like music that flows from speakers, my identity flows around me, inviting anyone who is willing to listen to its rhythm.
Music was there for me during the hardest days of my life, comforting me through every trial. Robert Plant softly reminded me that I need to accept “what is and what should never be” in the months that I spent praying for my parents to reunite from a nasty divorce. I listened desperately as Paul McCartney advised me to “take a sad song and make it better” while I watched a loved-one succumb to the monster of addiction. Even Jack White taught me that “want and able are two different things,” after I stubbornly argued the issue of my freedom to my parents. Through every trial, the lyrics seemed to be the only advice loud enough to make an impact on me.
Just as music has eased my pain, it has added to my joy. Almost all of the greatest moments in my life took place in the company of a perfect song. Songs that, when I hear them, transport me back to those moments, those feelings, and remind me why I cherish this musical identity. The perfect example lies in tune with the words of “All You Need is Love.” Whenever that song catches my ears, I am instantly transported back to the feeling of utter freedom my friends and I felt as we drove around, by ourselves, for the first time. In instances like this, the concept of a song becomes more than just lyrics and melodies; it is a memory.
These songs are my identity. They are the lessons I have chosen to learn and practice, words in which I have trusted to guide me through the hardships of life and will remember when those helpless feelings return. These songs are also the memories that I hang onto, reminding me of those euphoric emotions that I am capable of experiencing, and promising me that they will return. My identity is music, and just as I am eager to discover the awe-inspiring sounds that I know are out there, I am ready to do the same with myself.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Identity essay being selected as one of our top 10 essays for the September 2014 writing contest. Our editors are still voting on the winning essay, and if your essay is selected, we will contact you directly via your registration email and we will post a comment on your essay.

To view all the results of our September 2014 contest, please check our winners page on or after October 30th:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:32:21 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

I would like to congratulate you for your Identity essay being selected as our third place Teen Essay for September 2014.

To view all the results of our September 2014 contest, please check our winners page on or after October 30th:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and feel free to share your accomplishment with the world.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:17:14 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy