Identity: I Am Learned

Kofi Akosah
I am a short, dark boy whose life setting has always been Ghana. Undoubtedly my identity transcends beyond my appearance and my origin. Deep down, I’m a boy so ‘learned’ and ambitious, seeking to utilize the slightest opportunity and yearning to sound the bells of his inner voice.
Growing up, I wasn’t vulnerable to society’s limiting generalizations. Rather than accepting that I’m limited by the very fact that I’m a Ghanaian, that engineering is no politic career for a boy trapped in the forests of an unindustrialized country, my ever-stubborn mind dared to differ. I’ve strove to rid my thoughts of all these limitations as part of my efforts to become ‘learned’.
I have learnt that hard work can reduce Walls of Jericho, which are primarily the premises of society’s limiting generalizations, to thin slices of bread. This was apparent when I committed myself to attain first position in class, after placing ninth in the previous term’s exam. I studied more than I used to, trying to reach the point where I would feel I could study no harder. In the end, the eight-student-thick Jericho Wall was reduced not to a slice of bread but to nothing.
This success chimed a call that resonates with my already ringing inner voice yearning to be heard not by a person, two, a thousand or even my nation’s population but by the whole world. The voice repeats, ‘Give me the chance, I can do it better.’ And I’ve learnt the hard lesson that the world doesn’t hear -even doesn’t care about- the call so I have to seize up opportunities and utilize them in demonstration of what I can do. Ambitious I’ve become, therefore.
I have every big dream and every wistful fantasy. I’ve read about great people and scrutinized their motivations, comparing them to mine. I know my social skills are better than those of Alfred Noble and Napoleon Bonaparte’s overt courage outshines mine. I would care more about the continuity of my life and my talents and had left US upon the Nation of Islam’s threats if I were Malcolm X. All in all, these great people had a common trait, the inclination to harness chances well, a trait I’ve adopted. Hence, even though I reside in Ghana, I probe into happenings across continents through the internet. My dream is to be a world figure not just my neighbors’ acquaintance.
‘Then, you have to be a genius’, a concerned person might admonish me. Sure. In fact, I believe I have to be the best. Why then won’t I live trying to conquer problems, even trivial ones, with every quantum of energy in me in the grandest of styles? That’s me! A boy who’s ever ready to defy all odds, one who perceives every obstacle as a surmountable challenge, one whose goal is to have all the longitudinal lines infested with his talents and so has tasked himself with the accomplishment of a deluge of goals. This is Kofi Akosah.