Identity: Defiance is Key

Corrine
To stand out in a crowd is hard. To be brave is hard. It comes easily to some people but to most its heart wrenchingly difficult. But the difference it makes is not only justifying but life changing to the world around you. Being stacked against the odds when the world turns on you makes all the fighting harder as it knocks you down like a wall of bricks tumbling, cascading over each other until you are suffocating underneath it trying to unearth your way out. Trust me; it is undeniably worth it. I believe a common misconception is that you are defined by the people around you. I am not defined by the people around me. Nor will I ever be.

Whenever I am asked why I reply with one simple answer which I give with a tone of utmost certainty; Defiance is key.

To defy can be hard for everyone and anyone. Not letting yourself be overcome by peer pressure is easier said than done. But if you try hard enough, you can be the real you, without worrying about the identity others have made for you and being the identity you want to make for yourself.

Nevertheless, I can’t say that I have one distinct moment that changed my life as I have had many moments all of which with the utter most importance because all of the moments shaped me into the person I am today. One moment that I remember very clearly, is the moment I held my baby sister for the first time as without her my whole life would be a lot different. As her soft hands curled its way around my finger I was fascinated by the fact I was holding a new life, a new start, a new identity.

But we all have ever changing identities. I am not the same person that will continue to exist tomorrow as every second we are shaping into the person we are destined to be. My destiny is made up of my countless choices, our countless moments.

And you ask me one very important question that I will continue to be asked and in turn ask myself for the rest of my life; Who do you think you are? I will never truly know.