STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Identity: Just be Yourself

[email protected]
What is identity? There are a lot of different ways to identify an individual. On one hand when an eye witness is asked to identify a suspect in question he or she is being asked for specific characteristics like hair color, eye color, skin color, and height. These characteristics all make up the suspect physical appearance and that helps them identify the suspect. However, we are also asked to identify ourselves by answer the question "who are you?" The response to this question often goes something like I am a mom, or a daughter, or a sister. And more often you are asked "what are you like?" We usually answer this questions by describing ourselves with adjectives like smart, funny, and outgoing.

If asked to identify me you would say I am a 5'3 Caucasian female with long brown hair and dark brown eyes. But if you asked me " who are you" I would respond, I am a hardworking student, a loving sister, a helpful daughter and a loyal best friend. If asked "what are you like" my response would be I am an intelligent, hardworking, and thoughtful person. Do I believe that you born knowing exactly who you are? No, i do not. At least that's the way it was for me. I was lost and struggling to find my place in society for so long. It isn't till now, at fifteen years old, I can finally and confidently say that I know who I am and where I belong.

As a child I was overweight, I had trouble focusing in school, and I was always angry and mad at the world. I took this angry out on everyone else around me, even the people I cared about. I didn't mean to be so rude and I would always feel deep regret after snapping at my family members. After I had just snapped mom would often ask " why are you so mad?" and my response was "I don't know, I just am!" Now I understand why i was so angry. I wasn't upset because I didn't get what I wanted or because things didn't go my way. I was angry for not knowing who I was and where I belonged. I wasn't really angry at anyone else but myself.

This past year things have really changed. It was as if all the sudden something clicked and I started observing my surroundings a lot more and I started to see the damage and hurt I was causing to the people that I loved. I realized that it was okay that I wasn't perfect that I was unsure about my own identity. All I needed to do was focus on being myself and being the best that I can be. I started exercising and forming healthy eating habits. I started paying attention in class and using my time wisely to eliminate procrastination. And I Started getting more involved in helping out my mom around the house. I set goals for myself that I have now far exceeded. I am now confident in my body image. I enjoy learning in school every day and I get all A's. I also cook dinner for family almost every night and me and my family have the loving relationship I longed for. All it took was for me to just take a step back , take a deep breath and start again but this time not worrying about regrets or the unknown only focusing on what's ahead and improving one step at a time.

So there are a lot of different ways to identify a person. But the way i identify myself is I am 5'3 with long, brown hair, and big, brown eyes. I am a fifteen year old girl who is an intelligent and focused student. I am a compassionate sister and daughter and an honest and
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy