Identity: Through Music

nsanagustin
The world I come from is deeply rooted in music. It is such a huge part of my life and has definitely shaped who I am and who I want to be. When I was 12 years old, I decided to pick up a bass guitar due to the fact that my mom played the guitar and so she was the only other musician I knew that I could practice with everyday. I remember having music be in the back of my mind all day long, and being able to come home and pick up my bass was always the best part of the day for me. I would sit in my room for hours and try to learn the most challenging songs I knew. And then I would play along to my favorite songs, constantly imagining that I was a member of those bands, and that I had written those songs. I felt so accomplished when I had learned some of the hardest songs I could imagine, and I knew that I had reached a goal of mine.
My love for music grew, and I knew that I wanted to challenge myself with something else. It wasn’t long before I taught myself to play guitar and began performing in bands. At first, performance made me nervous, but I was so confident in my craft that I knew there was no way I could mess up. The first time that I ever performed in front of a crowd, I was extremely nervous. I had never been the kind of person to experience stage fright, but in that moment the fear of rejection overcame me. I found myself almost too shaky to play. But the passion that I had for what I do is what got me through that initial nervousness. From that moment on I realized that passion is my best motivator. In all areas of my life, being able to be passionate and relate to what I’m doing causes me to excel and get past any obstacles I face. It has also shaped the kind of student I am. I have always tried to relate the work and project I do to things in my life.
Perhaps the reason I am so passionate about music is because I am passionate about learning and trying out new things-and always challenging myself every step of the way. Music always challenges me-even being in a band comes with its own set of trials-but I only ever overcame those obstacles through passion and perseverance. It taught me to take a look at the bigger picture and not to be concerned with small things, to understand challenges are not to be feared and are only there to make you stronger. Perhaps these life lessons that I have learned through music has helped shape the person that I am in all areas of life. I have certainly shown perseverance in school, and I have always made sure to challenge myself in life and to take every opportunity that I possibly can.
In all walks of life, I aspire to be the kind of person that takes on every challenge wholeheartedly. I believe that a challenging, rigorous education is what will motivate me to be a successful student. After college, I hope to pursue a job in the non-profit field. This is another passion of mine because I know that no matter what job I end up with, I would be doing a good thing for the world. I believe this relates to my role as a musician: even though I may not be making a big difference with writing songs, music changes people's lives and one song can make a huge impact on someones life.