STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Identity: Through Music

nsanagustin
The world I come from is deeply rooted in music. It is such a huge part of my life and has definitely shaped who I am and who I want to be. When I was 12 years old, I decided to pick up a bass guitar due to the fact that my mom played the guitar and so she was the only other musician I knew that I could practice with everyday. I remember having music be in the back of my mind all day long, and being able to come home and pick up my bass was always the best part of the day for me. I would sit in my room for hours and try to learn the most challenging songs I knew. And then I would play along to my favorite songs, constantly imagining that I was a member of those bands, and that I had written those songs. I felt so accomplished when I had learned some of the hardest songs I could imagine, and I knew that I had reached a goal of mine.
My love for music grew, and I knew that I wanted to challenge myself with something else. It wasn’t long before I taught myself to play guitar and began performing in bands. At first, performance made me nervous, but I was so confident in my craft that I knew there was no way I could mess up. The first time that I ever performed in front of a crowd, I was extremely nervous. I had never been the kind of person to experience stage fright, but in that moment the fear of rejection overcame me. I found myself almost too shaky to play. But the passion that I had for what I do is what got me through that initial nervousness. From that moment on I realized that passion is my best motivator. In all areas of my life, being able to be passionate and relate to what I’m doing causes me to excel and get past any obstacles I face. It has also shaped the kind of student I am. I have always tried to relate the work and project I do to things in my life.
Perhaps the reason I am so passionate about music is because I am passionate about learning and trying out new things-and always challenging myself every step of the way. Music always challenges me-even being in a band comes with its own set of trials-but I only ever overcame those obstacles through passion and perseverance. It taught me to take a look at the bigger picture and not to be concerned with small things, to understand challenges are not to be feared and are only there to make you stronger. Perhaps these life lessons that I have learned through music has helped shape the person that I am in all areas of life. I have certainly shown perseverance in school, and I have always made sure to challenge myself in life and to take every opportunity that I possibly can.
In all walks of life, I aspire to be the kind of person that takes on every challenge wholeheartedly. I believe that a challenging, rigorous education is what will motivate me to be a successful student. After college, I hope to pursue a job in the non-profit field. This is another passion of mine because I know that no matter what job I end up with, I would be doing a good thing for the world. I believe this relates to my role as a musician: even though I may not be making a big difference with writing songs, music changes people's lives and one song can make a huge impact on someones life.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy