Identity: Growing Up in a Movement

kand512

For most of my life I thought that having three parents was completely normal. It was only until later in my life that I realized something was different. I would always get asked about the marital status of my parents, or about why I have two homes. The answer that followed was always sharing that my parents are homosexual. Within a week of starting middle school, I saw my answer change.
I was walking out towards the bus for P.E. at the end of the day. As I got on, I heard one of my classmates say something in front of me. “Did you know that if a kid’s parents are faggots, then they are too?”
Obviously its an extremely uneducated belief, however it got to me. Partly due to the fact that I am male with two fathers, and partly because I was at the verge of trying to make new friends in a new school and I didn’t want to jeopardize that. After that, my openness about the situation was permanently altered. It made me afraid to share who I really was, afraid to really let anyone in. Even in simple conversations I would feel the need to lie to hide my story. No one knew about the many years I attended and walked in the Pride Parade, or even the time I was tear gassed marching with my family. Life went on like that, and for a long time I did not have the courage to change how I treated it. It took me until my sophomore year to make a change.
I strongly believe that growing up in an unconventional family changed me in the best way possible. Seeing and experiencing all of the hardships and struggles that my parents, and homosexuals in general go through really shaped the way I look at the world. It has taught me to be a much more open minded and caring person than I think I would have been if I had not had all the experiences with discrimination that I did. It has shown me better ways to look at people’s situations and put myself into their shoes. In my opinion close-mindedness to the struggles of others is due to a lack of experience and knowledge. They have lived their own lives with their own struggles that have not equated to understanding.
Some call it taboo to compare the Gay Rights Movement and the Civil Rights Movement, but they are both about essential rights as a human being. Homosexuality is a culture that spans religions, countries, and skin colors. Something so broad, almost everyone knows the story of someone involved. Growing up in this present day movement was the best gift that I could ever receive. I have three loving parents that placed me in a community that made me the person that I am proud of today, and that is something I will never forget.