STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Identity: Growing Up in a Movement

kand512

For most of my life I thought that having three parents was completely normal. It was only until later in my life that I realized something was different. I would always get asked about the marital status of my parents, or about why I have two homes. The answer that followed was always sharing that my parents are homosexual. Within a week of starting middle school, I saw my answer change.
I was walking out towards the bus for P.E. at the end of the day. As I got on, I heard one of my classmates say something in front of me. “Did you know that if a kid’s parents are faggots, then they are too?”
Obviously its an extremely uneducated belief, however it got to me. Partly due to the fact that I am male with two fathers, and partly because I was at the verge of trying to make new friends in a new school and I didn’t want to jeopardize that. After that, my openness about the situation was permanently altered. It made me afraid to share who I really was, afraid to really let anyone in. Even in simple conversations I would feel the need to lie to hide my story. No one knew about the many years I attended and walked in the Pride Parade, or even the time I was tear gassed marching with my family. Life went on like that, and for a long time I did not have the courage to change how I treated it. It took me until my sophomore year to make a change.
I strongly believe that growing up in an unconventional family changed me in the best way possible. Seeing and experiencing all of the hardships and struggles that my parents, and homosexuals in general go through really shaped the way I look at the world. It has taught me to be a much more open minded and caring person than I think I would have been if I had not had all the experiences with discrimination that I did. It has shown me better ways to look at people’s situations and put myself into their shoes. In my opinion close-mindedness to the struggles of others is due to a lack of experience and knowledge. They have lived their own lives with their own struggles that have not equated to understanding.
Some call it taboo to compare the Gay Rights Movement and the Civil Rights Movement, but they are both about essential rights as a human being. Homosexuality is a culture that spans religions, countries, and skin colors. Something so broad, almost everyone knows the story of someone involved. Growing up in this present day movement was the best gift that I could ever receive. I have three loving parents that placed me in a community that made me the person that I am proud of today, and that is something I will never forget.

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy