Identity: I am Not a Bat

WinterMoon
I think I've always been strange. Growing up, I preferred dinosaurs to butterflies, Pokemon to Barbie, and reading to frolicking outside. I adored reading. Reading was quiet. Reading is peaceful.

I flip another page, the fingers of my right hand already caressing the right hand page in preparation to leave behind pages 134 and 135 and glide onto pages 136 and 137. My bed squealed as I shifted my weight onto my elbows, propping up my book, which my nose pressed into as if I could not only inhale the smell of paper, but words themselves.

I was in a new world, one that no one could enter without up taking these bound pages and letting themselves slip away from reality and into the Ocean of Words. My tongue darted out to wet my wrinkled lips, sneaking a peak of the taste of pristine words that would later roll off that tongue during various conversations.

I’m not sure if the reason I got so absorbed in books was because I loved the feeling of fresh new worlds, alternates of our own or just born from the universe, in the galaxy of my mind or if the reason was because they were understandable, inaudible. My ears sucked at being ears, almost as much as my eyes when they didn’t have their thin, plastic shields stuck onto their surface. I believe my Auditory-whatever problem factored into there somewhere as well, I could quite literally take the phrase, “In one ear, out the other”, literally. With reading, I didn’t have to fret over people getting irritated when I questioned, “What did you say?”

I watched people when they talked not just to seem creepy or interested, I did that so that I could watch as the words tumbled from their lips. The words, for the most part, stick that way. Otherwise it was as if my brain was coated in Pam and they just slipped right off and fluttered away. My brain just couldn’t absorb information like most brains. My troubles with hearing didn’t help, which is why I believe really loud, unexpected noises startled me so much. I was just too used to hearing everything low-key unless I did something myself to turn up the noise.

“Rose… Rose...Rose!” Startling, the book flew out of my hands to bounce off the wall as I jumped, similar to a spooked cat. My brother sighed, making me smile.

“Sorry. I got caught up in my book.” Joseph nodded, all too used to my antics.

“Mom wants you to do dishes.” Pouting momentarily, I tumbled off my bed.

“Okay!” I chirped, bounding out of my room to hurriedly do my dishes so that I could return to my book. Joseph reunited with his game and the rattles of bombs and guns echoed in the basement.

Thankfully, my ears didn’t listen to the racket, and without the distractions of Joseph’s growling and grumbling at the T.V., I could get back to reading all the sooner.