Identity: I Weathered Like the Rocks

rachelbowanko
I step on the branch, half expecting it to break, knowing it won’t. My toes lead the way, blindly feeling the ground, the small rocks curled between my toes. I step forward into the water, allowing myself to sink down. I reach my arms out and pull myself through the water, allowing it to rush past me just as the minnows do, and with all my strength, I pull myself out of the water and onto the moss-covered ledge.

I now sit, in the middle of the Potomac River, surrounded on one side by calm waters and on the other side by fierce rapids. The rapids roar as water tumbles over jagged rocks. Much like the rocks in the Potomac, I have weathered over the years. At the age of five my entire world shattered when my dad passed away. I remained strong as the treacherous hurricane shifted my childhood.

Reflecting on the twelve years after my dad passed away, I begin to make out who I am as a person. Upon hearing the news of his passing, I sat on the edge of the bed in silence. My mom came over and sat next to me and I hugged her as she cried. Tears welled in my eyes, but I wouldn’t cry just yet- right now it was her turn. I became her rock. At the age of five, I felt depended on. More importantly however, I felt the need to be that someone that one could depend on. Over next twelve years I slowly gained the courage to trust life again. That is who I am- someone who has learned to love life against all odds. Looking back out on the rapids, I know who I am. I am both my past and my present, my memories and my future. The cool wind rushes past my cheek while the sunlight warms my heart. I am home.