STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Identity: Anxiety

memmert
When I was young, my family went to Ireland for vacation. I remember going into one of the many little tourist shops and seeing a book that had the quote, “Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday” on the cover. Being an elementary student at the time, I didn’t quite understand the intense connection and emotions that I was feeling while contemplating this quote. Keeping the quote with me throughout the years has helped me face my greatest fears and break out of the concrete shell that I put myself in.
Ever since I can remember, I’ve had extreme amounts of anxiety. Whether it was raising my hand in class, checking out at a grocery store, or even thinking about the prospect of not waking up in the morning due to some freak accident, I was worried about it to the point where I could hardly function. For most of my life I let this unnatural fear of everyday activities limit me. Change is one of my anxiety triggers and as a military child we moved every three to four years causing the anxiety to get progressively worse. During the first two years of high school is when I struggled the most with it. We had just moved back from Belgium and immediately my father was deployed for the majority of my freshman year. He then got out of the military leaving him without a job for half of my sophomore year. My mom had a stable job but she was distracted half the time by the poor health of my grandparents. All of this combined with a hostile school environment made coping extremely difficult.
When I started my Junior year at a new school I began to disassociate my anxiety with myself. It was no longer what made me who I was; I was. Instead of worrying about what would go wrong if I raised my hand, I raised it. Instead of freaking out about getting on a plane by myself to Europe for a service project, I boarded it. I recognize as I look back at the amazing opportunities that I have had as a military dependent that I haven’t been as thankful for or taken advantage of as many adventures as I should have. However, my attention is on the present and future, not the past. I might always be anxious but I will also always have choices and the ability to make the right ones.
I’m not exactly sure what choices I will make in the future: however, I am finding ways to conquer my anxiety by focusing on my interest in studying not just human nature but also the ways that people interact to make strong communities and societies. My experiences from living overseas are still clear in my mind and while my anxiety might have limited the amount that they influenced me at the time, I will move forward and use these experiences to mold and shape my future.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy