Identity: beauty

meganmae
Who do you think you are? That's a question I've never been asked before and honestly don't know how to answer. Most people would reply with their name - which - I am Megan. Others would reply with traits such as: caring, loving and loyal. But I simply don't know.

I've been told that I'm trustworthy, a good listener and a great student in school. But so what? So are millions of other people in the world. I know that my name is Megan and I could name about ten other Megan's I've met in my life; not to mention that there are thousands of other Megan's around the world. Who I am doesn't matter because my answers will be just like the next person's response. We all talk about experiences that have defined us and they're always the same; whether it be bullying or moving to another country. There will always be somebody out there who shares a similar experience with you, hence why we say: "you're not alone."

But that's the thing, although there's no originality in saying: "My bullying story has defined me and helped me grow into a better and stronger person", it's still true. Because the experiences we've been through are what make us who we are. Clearly, that's not the only thing that defines us. The way we interact with strangers and the way we care for the needy and the way we smile at others is what defines us and so much more.

I don't have a bullying story to talk about or how hard it was moving to another country that didn't speak my language. The best I have for you is my once troubled step brother, Ben. Before him, my life was boring and typical. Once he came into my life, I was completely fed up with him after a while. He just didn't want to listen to the advice my mom and I gave him and god he was so stubborn. Although he is not here at the moment, we write to each other a lot and I can say that he's been a huge impact on who I am. He's taught me that if you make the same mistake twice, there's bound to be consequences. He's taught me that it doesn't matter what's on the outside but what's on the inside. Everything he's taught me and told me - I already knew - but didn't believe. He's helped me a lot with my confidence and personal problems and I guess you could say his opinion means a lot to me. He's told me that I'm beautiful and although sometimes I don't feel beautiful, I believe him.

Thanks to Ben, I may not not who I am completely, but I sure do know one thing:

I am beautiful.