STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Identity: Existential Crisis at the Ripe Old Age of Fifteen

ag3560

You’re asking me to tell you who I am, as have so many other English teachers in the past. It’s ironic how a question, strung together with three of the most basic words in our language, usually receives the most complex, eloquently worded, philosophical answers. Especially since the answer is pretty simple.
I can answer the question of “Who am I?” with one word: nothing.
Nothing a judge sitting at a computer on the other side of the world for all I know, can simply read off a piece of paper. I, as a human being, cannot be transcribed to words. Words are descriptive and beautiful. They create whole worlds that lull in readers all over the globe to the point that a particular story is simply a part of their entire being. An author, armed with the correct storyline and plot, is the deadliest warrior of all – they can enter someone’s mind, draw up scenes and relationships that don’t even exist, and tear someone’s heart out with the death of a beloved character. JK Rowling, we will never forgive you - believe me and the rest of the Harry Potter fandom out there - for Fred’s death.
But these gut wrenching emotions these authors make us feel, how can they, when all these intricately woven stories are simply little black marks on stacks of paper, bound together with glue?
They are nothing. Not one person in this entire world could write themselves such a perfect essay describing who they are.
If someone asks me who I am, I’m going to say my name, and remind them of the peculiar spelling.
Someone is not going to remember me. They’ll meet me for a minute at my friend’s mother’s birthday party, politely say hello, then shuffle towards the larger crowd. Their eyes will skim over the top of my head, and they will pretend that they care that I go to school with their friend’s daughter. To them, I will not exist after the next two hours.
In that, we are all nothing. We will go to school, get the grades we may or may not deserve, try to break out of the goody-goody cocoon we have woven ourselves so tightly away in, make relationships with people. We will get jobs. We will work. We may even find someone to love and be loved by. But eventually, life will pass, and we will be sitting on our death beds with nothing left to say.
All this passes through my mind as I stare up at the shadowy ceiling of my pink-walled bedroom. The streetlamps outside flicker, and I vaguely remember a physics quiz tomorrow. I need to get good results, because results and end products are all that matter.
It is the same concept that permeates itself in the question of identity. In the end, we will be nothing, and so we are all nothing.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy