Identity: The Over-Achiever

taytompkins2000
“Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everyone I’ve ever known.” ~Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
I always hated how on the first day of school, teachers always asked how you define yourself. How do we truly identify ourselves? What others think, what you think, a combination of the two? Colleges will define you by your achievements, but how do you see yourself? Personally, I see myself as a nerdy over-achiever. Those words can mean something good or bad depending on how you look at it. I look at being nerdy as a good thing; as for over-achiever, nothing is wrong with striving for excellence. What some people don’t realize is that describing yourself and identifying yourself are two totally different things. When you describe yourself others can group you into a category with all the other people who describe themselves the same way. We identify ourselves by how we react to situations and other people different from us.
I am a firm believer in who you associate with shows a lot about yourself. When meeting my friends, you would immediately see that they are tremendously passionate about what they believe in, this factor I see clearly in myself everyday. I am very passionate about everything I do, if I'm not passionate what’s the point. Another quality very adamant about my friends is that we stick together, not in a clique sort of way, more in a family way. If you ever gain my trust I will have your back for as long as I know you. My friends have shaped my identity more than anyone else has, and they will continue to shape me for the rest of my life.
Experiences continue to shape my identity everyday. One of the most defining experience in my life has been my transfer between middle school and high school. So far, freshman year has been more stressful than anything I’ve accomplished so far in my life. The constant anxiety of possible failure, judgmental people, and just the overall ambiance of high school has really caught me in a web this year. I often find myself having to slow down and take a breath. In my candor, I can say that this year has shaped me in a way that I can’t describe. My work ethic has improved, and I cope with stress more efficiently. Mt ability to adjust to situations has proven to me that I can accomplish more than I ever imagined.
Finding your identity is difficult. Who are you amongst all the faces in the crowd? If I have learned nothing about myself, at least I know what to say on the first day of school when the teachers ask how I define myself.