Identity: Kaleidoscope

Gingersnap
Identity: Kaleidoscope

To my peers, I am a soft-spoken, smart girl who always hands in her homework on time. When given a greeting in the halls, I give them a timid and sometimes uncertain smile in return. My eyes dart around anxiously and my feet drum a quick staccato as I walk briskly across the tiled floor, fearful of being late for my next class.

To my friends, I am a listener. I am not the life of the party, nor am I the one who can make everyone burst into waves of laughter from just one joke or facial expression. Instead, I’m their confidant -- the person they come to for comfort. I meet their tears with sympathetic eyes and gentle hand gestures, followed up by the best advice I can offer them. Sometimes, when I’ve had too much sugar and too little sleep, my friends see a more extroverted side of me. My quiet giggle crescendos into a hiccuping laugh, and I tend to dance, instead of walk, out of excitement and giddiness.

To my family, I function as both the lazy teenager and the sarcastic sister. Despite being an early bird on the weekdays, I tend to be the last one awake on weekend mornings. Every day I’m different. Sometimes, I’m the bossy sibling who tends to get stressed when no one will listen or comply to my wishes. Other times, I am the mischievous prankster who can’t seem to barricade the witty comments and teasing gestures that surface throughout the day. I am the hugger of the family, often ambushing anyone and everyone with my unavoidable, tight squeezes.

Identity is often associated with how people see us. Every person sees me differently, depending on the people I'm with and the environment I’m in. The side of me they see, however, is just one of many. When someone sees only one of these sides, they are only seeing a faint silhouette of who I really am. In order to see my true identity, they must take a step back and view all of these sides together. My identity is a mixture -- a kaleidoscope -- of all of these single identities.

To me, I am all of these things. Despite all of these traits and attributes being so different, somehow they manage to blend together and create something fascinating and unique, just like the different components of a kaleidoscope shift into a abstract, colorful array. My identity may seem to shift and change, but each change is just a new way of showing a small piece of who I really am.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your Identity essay being selected as one of our top 10 essays for the September 2014 writing contest. Our editors are still voting on the winning essay, and if your essay is selected, we will contact you directly via your registration email and we will post a comment on your essay.

To view all the results of our September 2014 contest, please check our winners page on or after October 30th:

Posted: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:27:44 PM

I would like to congratulate you for your Identity essay being selected as our second place Teen Essay for September 2014.

Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 8:16:27 PM
Comment by Himanshu12

Most of the windows 10 user were getting trouble to open file explorer windows 10 so here I have an article for your by which you will easily learn to open file explorer in windows 10 operating system with the help of tutorial.
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 11:52:00 AM