Identity: Follow your bliss

h0peis_near
Let my start off by saying that I don't believe that a persons family or name sculpts them. They don't define a person by any means, in my opinion. I believe that objects and material things that a person holds close to their heart can define them.

As I was growing up I never fit in with my family. Whether it was my mothers or fathers side. They were complete opposites but I couldn't feel comfortable being around either one. My siblings fit with one side of the family easily, but I'm the black sheep. I've come to terms with that fact. It's okay that I don't fit snuggly with the people that raised me. I'm such an independent individual. I've always had the mindset that I don't need help with anything. Even it's simple, like having to open a bottle. Maybe that's just being stubborn, nevertheless, it's still true.

Now, what does define me is every single person/band I listen to. Ever poet/authors words that I've read off of a hundred different pages. Every person that has ever given a speech that meant the world to them and meant even more to me. I live by those words. Each concert I attend molds me. After I leave I feel more like myself. Every time I finish a book or a new poem I read, I find a new piece of myself.

On my arm I have the words "You are what you love, not who loves you." tattooed. It's a lyric by my favorite band of 10 years, Fall Out Boy. The band and the lyric define me perfectly. I've never been one to let a person define me. I've thrown myself into my art, music, writing, etc. I have a good handful of friends but I'm okay by myself.

The point is; I'm my own person and I'll follow my bliss until the day I die.