Identity: Rising from the Underworld

rebeccapark
My life has been many things. My identity is still being discovered. My horses are a big involvement in my life. My dyslexia is a big involvement too.

When I was born, I was born with dyslexia. I also have speech and language, or motor planning, disabilities. You are usually born with one or the other. But, in my case, I was born with both. I've been in a private schools for most of my life. I don’t really understand what I have. My first school didn’t help much. My second school really helped me. Now I can talk without stopping.

My grandmother, Dee, means the world to me. She doesn’t see me as a girl who has trouble, or anything else. My grandmother sees me as a regular girl. Around her, I don’t have to pretend to be something I’m not. My grandmother means so much to me.

My mom is actually believes in me. My mom is the one who helps me with my dyslexia. She’s been through a lot with me. Now I’m a senior in high school. She is a big influence on me. I run everything by her. She’s my number one person in my life. She is also my best friend.

My sister Jamie that stuck by my side.We have been through a lot together. She’s been there when I had speech therapy, or testing. Now, she’s off to college, and she wants to become a speech pathologist.

The most important thing that my identity is always going to be about, and that’s my back injury. My back injury happened about nine years ago. It’s been a huge problem in my life. I had to learn how to ride with it. Now, I have to wear a back brace when I ride. I would never take it back because it makes me a better rider.

All my life I have been riding. I have been riding for 16 years. I have gotten two injuries. My two injuries are my back injury and my knee injury. There is one place that I can just be me and that is when I’m riding. When I'm riding, my dyslexia doesn't come into play. When I ride, nothing else matters it’s just me and the horse.

I really don’t know my identity yet. I am only 18, so I still have my whole life to figure my identity out. I just hope it has something to do with horses.Your identity keeps forming, and it never stops changing.