Identity: Creating Myself Day In, Day Out

ashlynprom

We are expected be who we want to be, even though we are forced to be who we need to be in order to satisfy others. We yearn to be successful, to follow our dreams, but once our goals are shot down repeatedly we lose our desire. We are told to not give up until we have what we aimed for, yet they tell us our aspirations are unrealistic. Defining yourself is much more complex than stating one descriptive word. Identity development is intrinsically linked with adolescence. We don’t become who we are in one day, but one day we will become who we yearn to be.

I don’t believe we ever know who we are entirely. It almost seems as if it is an impossible task to find ourselves, considering we change on a daily basis. For example, I have moved multiple times, and each time has taught me something new. Originally moving to Kansas, granted I was young, life was easy and friends were good. After spending a year in California I wanted to move back to Kansas. Once my family and I moved back I was extremely disappointed. Unfortunately, I was too immature to understand that life wouldn't be the same. That one experience out of the millions I have been through is a little detail that shows who I am. Aside from learning new things about yourself, learning new things about others is key in your identity.

Our thought process and morals are influenced by those we surround ourselves with. Our parents and our friends are a representation of ourselves. For some their beliefs may change drastically compared to when they were a child. As my mother likes to say, I have been "brainwashed" to my parents' outlook on politics and morals. Some teenagers may go out of their way to learn about the other side, in order to find what they believe. Either way, what you believe is of more significance than you realize.

The possibilities vary for each individual; a defining moment may be a successful grade or a new group of friends. For others it could be a novel that really spoke to them. For me, undergoing struggles with friends was a large piece in my puzzle. I attended a bible study one night, which only lead to positivity. Finding God was an important step in my identity. I now have a better understanding of life and who I want to be. There isn't one thing that defines who we are, one may be larger than the other, but it is of no greater importance. Reading "The Great Gatsby" was just as important as stubbing my toe.

Finding your identity is almost a test; our ideas are labeled poorly and sometimes completely rejected. We do not choose the most convenient personality, nor do we succeed in every situation we are thrown into. Although we do not know the intentions of others when they put us down, we can put their accusations behind us and pass the test. Every day leading up to now is what truly defines our identity. Don’t be who you want to be for today, be who you want to be for tomorrow.