Identity: My Mother's Daughter

changchongchris
As you grow old, you start to realize the little things that your parents did for you while you were transforming into the man or woman that you become. The little things that you took for granted, brushed off your shoulder, or simply just didn’t even notice. The most loving, giving, caring person I will ever meet in my entire life and I am fortunate enough to call her my mother—a parent truly sent from God.

There’s the teenagers that couldn’t care less about the consequences of their actions, laughing while risking the lives of two 13-year-olds, and there’s the teenagers that sit on the back of a golf cart going over 60mph at two in the morning telling their best friend to slow down because they’re all going to die. The last one? Yeah, that was me.
It sounded like a good idea at the time, going for a quick late night ride on my best friend’s dad’s work golf cart. But the harder my best friend hit that gas pedal, the more I realized it wasn’t such a good idea, and the more I clung for my life on the back. And once we hit that eruption in the grass, the feeling in the pit of my stomach only magnified. The cart was airborne for a second too long before crashing down onto the hard grass and throwing all three of us out and down the hill. Consequently, the golf cart comes tumbling down and lands directly on my best friend and I. The metal bar on the back of the cart headed straight for my collarbone and didn’t spare me any pain; however, it thankfully did spare my two best friends.

While waiting for my mother to arrive, struggling to stay awake, the worst-case scenarios popped into my mind—paralyzation, arm amputation. By the time my mom had reached me, I had talked myself into a mental hysteria from the pain and the horrid thoughts. She took in my mental state and almost laughed. I was confused how she could find humor in such a situation. While staring me dead in the eye, she takes my hand and says, “you know it’s all going to be okay, right? All we have to do is pray and God takes care of the rest. You’re going to be okay. We are always going to be okay.” If I wasn’t crying hard enough before that point, I was surely crying then.

In even a situation as awful as that one, my mother, she never frets. She is the calm to my storm, my rock, and my best friend. And as I sit here, with tears in my eyes, I thank God Almighty, for blessing me with such a beautiful woman to raise my three sisters and myself. I honestly believe we are the luckiest people to ever live just because we had the opportunity to even be around the woman we call our mom.