STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Identity: My Mother's Daughter

changchongchris
As you grow old, you start to realize the little things that your parents did for you while you were transforming into the man or woman that you become. The little things that you took for granted, brushed off your shoulder, or simply just didn’t even notice. The most loving, giving, caring person I will ever meet in my entire life and I am fortunate enough to call her my mother—a parent truly sent from God.

There’s the teenagers that couldn’t care less about the consequences of their actions, laughing while risking the lives of two 13-year-olds, and there’s the teenagers that sit on the back of a golf cart going over 60mph at two in the morning telling their best friend to slow down because they’re all going to die. The last one? Yeah, that was me.
It sounded like a good idea at the time, going for a quick late night ride on my best friend’s dad’s work golf cart. But the harder my best friend hit that gas pedal, the more I realized it wasn’t such a good idea, and the more I clung for my life on the back. And once we hit that eruption in the grass, the feeling in the pit of my stomach only magnified. The cart was airborne for a second too long before crashing down onto the hard grass and throwing all three of us out and down the hill. Consequently, the golf cart comes tumbling down and lands directly on my best friend and I. The metal bar on the back of the cart headed straight for my collarbone and didn’t spare me any pain; however, it thankfully did spare my two best friends.

While waiting for my mother to arrive, struggling to stay awake, the worst-case scenarios popped into my mind—paralyzation, arm amputation. By the time my mom had reached me, I had talked myself into a mental hysteria from the pain and the horrid thoughts. She took in my mental state and almost laughed. I was confused how she could find humor in such a situation. While staring me dead in the eye, she takes my hand and says, “you know it’s all going to be okay, right? All we have to do is pray and God takes care of the rest. You’re going to be okay. We are always going to be okay.” If I wasn’t crying hard enough before that point, I was surely crying then.

In even a situation as awful as that one, my mother, she never frets. She is the calm to my storm, my rock, and my best friend. And as I sit here, with tears in my eyes, I thank God Almighty, for blessing me with such a beautiful woman to raise my three sisters and myself. I honestly believe we are the luckiest people to ever live just because we had the opportunity to even be around the woman we call our mom.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by StageofLife.com.  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on TIME.com, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2016 Writing Contests

Writing Contest for High School Students

2015 Writing Contests

2014 Writing Contests

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com was launched in 2009 as the premier destination for people of all ages to find information, coupons, and stories about one of ten key stage of life transitions:  high school, college, on my own, wedding, married without children, having a baby, home ownership, parenting, grand parenting, and empty nest/retirement.  Nearly 1 million visitors come to the site each year to find information about their stage of life.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can also share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes statistics, quotes, videos, financial tips, coupons, news, writing contests, and more tailored to each of the 10 life stages featured.  My Life Rewards® is the free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy