Identity: Knowledge

LlamadalaFace.CopyrightMe
Identity: Knowledge.
Time and time again, I remind myself that only I have the power to choose who I am. Only I have the power over what choices I make and how I react to the things that life throws at me. I view myself as an intellectual, set apart from the ordinaries. And in my eyes, the “ordinaries” are those that have their daily routine, a constant repeat of tedious activities and conversations. For me, those such things are highly overwhelming and I feel suffocated when on a constant daily process with hardly any change. Small talk? Forget it. If you can approach me and I see that you value intellect as much as I do, we will get along quite well. Otherwise don’t even bother, because I will turn you away as quick as swatting an annoying fly. I don’t mean to offend anyone, though I know that there are those out there that already are. I’ve been told that I am socially awkward and, for you Sherlock fans out there, quite like the brilliant Mr. Holmes himself (at least, the BBC version). The basis of who I am revolves around (in my opinion) my personality type. I am an INTP (read a little and learn more); I love taking quizzes and tests to pinpoint little parts of my personality, and on average I am always the socially awkward introverted intellectual, which is spot-on, as always.
Sometimes I wonder if personalities and identities change. Though after a lot of observation, I realized that most of the time, that is incorrect (in my case, anyhow). Shakespeare once said “The world is a stage”; I agree. Though the way I view it, the world is one large masked ball. Everyone is wearing a mask, concealing their true identity. Some may even shed their masks only to apply another. The person behind the mask however, does not change. They’re in there somewhere; no matter how well the mask is at concealing the person, there is definitely a raw, living, breathing person underneath. So no, I do not believe that personalities change. Character, yes; but not personality. Personality is what you were born with; the thing you grow. Character is what you create, and change with even the simplest of choices. Combined, character and personality become your identity. I hope that mine, with these few words, was able to bleed through to your minds.